Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are there any guidelines on binding settings for little kids?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Snowrat

I'm far from an expert here, so I welcome any criticism, but here's what worked for me: I have identical twin girls that I started on snowboards when they were 5 (they're almost 8 now). One is predominantly left handed, one righty, but they switch often (I know that has nothing to do with regular or goofy, but being identical twins, I thought it was a little telling about their general differences).I got into "play boxing" matches with them to get an idea of where their dominant athletic stance and forward foot was, but set them up evenly for switch, figuring they probably hadn't settled on a final preference yet (like with their hands). I padded them up well (elbow pads, helmets and hockey pants). Feeling no pain, they never developed a fear of slamming. (and it was kinda fun watching them curl up like hedge hogs and roll ouf of a slam) getting them to go toe side and look up hill was really a matter of mental preference, not fear, so I'd play games with them staying uphill and creating incentive for them to complete their turns and look up at me. This is their third full season (3+ times a week) and they're doing a decent "completed turns slalom" on gentle blue runs sort of naturally carving or dynamic skidding as the terrain and speed dictates. About three weeks ago they found a little natural hit, caught "huge" air (they're 3 feet tall, so 2 feet of air is "huge") and now they're incecently begging me to take them to the park. I've created monsters! But back to the original point... up until around 10, most kids wont have settled into a front foot preference, so playing a game like boxing (and the other poster's suggestion of jumping off the ottoman) to get an idea of their natural stance width and angle, and setting them up for switch, is the best bet in my opinion.
Snowrat is offline   Reply With Quote