Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

TIps when riding powder

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  KnoxBoarderX 
#1 ·
I have been doing really well the last couple of days but it has dumped in Cervino and today i kept falling and getting stuck. Can you guys share some tips to help me increase my powder riding. Thanks

#7 ·
Move your bindings back. I did this when I went heli skiing and it makes it much easier. Always look ahead for a flat spot. If you see one coming straight line it.
Also as said above ride steeps when it is like this. This is the best time to make big improvements. This is how I learnt to ride double black chutes. When there is a foot of fresh pow you can't go wrong.

#8 ·
I know when I first started riding pow, the biggest problem I had is after I shifted my weight back on my rear foot, I couldn't balance very well and was always falling. After practicing balancing tail presses at home and on groomers, I found pow to be easier, and orgasmic amounts of fun.

#10 ·
When riding deep...it needs to be steep and thus its more important to chose your lines wisely...avoiding terrain traps and etc. On the less angled stuff you got to be patient and wait for the carve to come...meaning you have to choose and look at what terrain will support that carve and will you have enough speed. Inorder to slash or explode face shots and white rooms you got to have enough speed to exit or get out of them otherwise you sink or fall over from lack centrifugal speed....so generally straight line bomb, haul ass and get maybe one or two turns in...but carry alot of speed.

#11 ·
Try to think about bouncing up to ride on the powder, not below it. If you are on a rocker board, it should be a little easier to stay on top of the powder. If you are on a camber board, you might want to set your stance back a little bit and keep a little more weight toward the tail of the board. Also keep up the speed.

#12 · (Edited)
speed is critical, depending on how much powder of course. The more snow you have the faster you need to go. Some terrain can be very fun and dandy with 3-4", but 8+ and it becomes impossible. That happened last year. I under estimated how much speed i needed to do a regular valley glade we always do when we had about a 2ft snow, and i get half way into it and come to a stop and get stuck and it takes me over 20 minutes to hike out 20 feet so i can strap in on a incline enough to get going again. Im not sure if you are getting stuck because you are falling or just slowing down and stopping, but they usually go hand in hand. the slower you go the easier it is to fall over. As previously mentioned set your bindings back and keep the nose up. pow is all about floating and surfing, so all your turns are smooth and wide. On normal hard snow you use your edges to dig into the snow on turns. in powder you aren't carving or digging in an edge so you turn with the base of the board pushing against the snow, so you use a lot more full body leaning instead of mostly lower body with carving on normal runs. Sorry if the way i described it doesn't make sense, i haven't gotten to ride any pow this year so the actual specific mechanics and feel are cloudy and not very vivid. Its hard to describe something i detail when you haven't done it in 9 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.