Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 32 Lashed Praise and Board Shop rant
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bactine

Default 32 Lashed Praise and Board Shop rant

Hey guys, I've never posted before or if I have I cant remember. This has been a great forum for me to get so many different opinions, and there's so much great knowledge in here, I feel I never would've learned half the stuff I know now without browsing this site.

Moving on though, I've had a pair of Vans boots for about 4 seasons. They never broke in to the degree that I wanted. There was always pressure on my toes and it wasn't that great having a numb right foot halfway through the day. They were just such an expensive purchase (relative to my income as a college student) I needed to make them work.

This season I finally decided it was time for new boots. So I started trying a few different brands on, Nike, DC, Burton and finally 32. I picked the lashed because it was wide enough for my big toes but I was able to keep the heel hold without the boot being too massive. I've been wearing them around the house to break them in a bit.

**Background story**

The shop nearby, the only one that actually stocked 32's only had an 11 and a 10. The 10 was impossibly small and the 11 was too big, my foot moved around everywhere. The guy working with me told me that the 11 was fine for me and that you wanted room to breathe. o_O I asked him how much the boot would pack out, considering the boot was already too big. He said it would fill in around my foot, maybe that's true but I didn't think so. I knew the 10.5 would be perfect. But they didn't have any and weren't about to order one, so much for supporting small business.

So I went online and got a pair of Cyan 32 Lashed boots in a 10.5 They fit amazing I'm so stoked to get these on the hill. I've been wearing them all day, they are on as I type this lol. So I just called around to see who would be able to heat mold the boots. I figure it cant hurt right? I just got off the phone with a local shop that does it. But they want $50 for the service because of liabilities. Are you kidding me? Is this normal? I mean I know I didn't buy the boots from any shop so they have no obligation to help me out but do shops normally charge for heat molding?

So if you've made it this far my question is, is it worth trying to find a place that will heat mold for free or like 5$ lol? Maybe one of the local mountains? Or should I continue to wear the boots and just be happy with them? I've gotten the impression it's not the best idea to heat mold yourself, especially in my case where they already fit so well. Thanks guys sorry if this post seems redundant, I just couldn't believe the girl on the phone quoted me $50 for heat molding. A tune up there is $70 as well O_O this site has saved me lots of money in the long run with self tuning. /End rant
Bactine is offline   Reply With Quote