Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 32 Lashed Praise and Board Shop rant
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bactine View Post
But they want $50 for the service because of liabilities. Are you kidding me? Is this normal? I mean I know I didn't buy the boots from any shop so they have no obligation to help me out but do shops normally charge for heat molding?

So if you've made it this far my question is, is it worth trying to find a place that will heat mold for free or like 5$ lol? Maybe one of the local mountains? Or should I continue to wear the boots and just be happy with them? I've gotten the impression it's not the best idea to heat mold yourself, especially in my case where they already fit so well. Thanks guys sorry if this post seems redundant, I just couldn't believe the girl on the phone quoted me $50 for heat molding. /End rant
Yes, I know the concept is foreign to you as a college student, but people provide services in return for money

It is completely normal for shops to charge around $30-40 to heat mold boot that you didn't buy at the store (it has been this way for decades). It takes over a half hour and the attention of an employee... some places will do it for free if you buy them a pack of beer and come when the store is empty... but free or $5?!? that's less than what you would pay a shoe shiner.

Heat molding just speeds up the natural break-in process... if your boots feel good, don't bother.
You can also do it yourself (there are a few how-tos on the internet) if you can read and follow directions consistently and carefully... then just tip yourself $5

Last edited by lonerider; 01-05-2012 at 05:34 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote