Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Introduce yourself

2M views 4K replies 2K participants last post by  ctoma 
#1 ·
I will start this thread.

I am 24 years old, live in Toronto Canada.

I grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan (where there is a ton of snow) so naturally i have gone both skiing and snowboarding.

I'm still a beginner snowboarder, but hope to learn lots at Snowboarding Forum :D

#2,377 ·
FNG Here

So I am a 38yo rookie in this sport. Live in Northern IL. Jumped on a board for the first time in beginning of Feb, bought a setup 2 days later, I loved it!
I am riding an INT/ADV setup...K2 Raygun 161, Flow Flite bindings, and Flow Vega boots.
Heading to Park City, UT next week!!

Did I skip or leave out anything crucial for my intro??

#2,380 ·
Howdy,

I'm a 25 year old Rookie/Int been riding for 2 around years now. Living South East England os only indoor slopes on a regular basis. Snow holidays every year to get in some real snow action.

Current setup:
Rome Manual 159 wide
Flow Quattro SE XL Bindings

Hoping to learn some stuff from you guys :)

#2,381 ·
Intermediate snowboarder - I'm not gonna lie, my main focus is to push my limits and have a good time. Isn't that why we all stay with it though?

Still want to meet rookies, too! Love giving tips where I can and meeting other people that love the sport.

Sad for the end of the season...

Been snowboarding about 12 years, but haven't really been out at all the past 3, until this year! I might be able to finish with a dozen times this season if the powder gods giveth. Definitely getting a season pass whereever I am next year.

So where to next?

#2,386 ·
Hi All

I am a year old rookie snowboarder. Got on a board once last winter and smacked my tailbone real hard on the ice. Thought i was never going to try again but this winter i have been 4 times and loving every second of it

Slowly learning the basics and hope to get some good tips on this forum

I am from Gibraltar so the closest snow is 3.5 hours away which makes it quite a trek so cannot snowboard as often as I would like

I was recently in Montreal, Canada and got a very decent price on a Rome Agent Rocker 151cm and Burton Fix Mission Reflex bindings

#2,387 ·
Obsessed

Hey guys. Finally got around to making an account. Been lurking for a little bit now haha.

Wish I had gotten into snowboaring much earlier, but hey at least I got here. Have spent three days on a mountain (Niseko, Marmot Basin, Turoa). First two times, I was a poor student on a bit of an OE, so no lessons and a lot of falling over. Could only manage doing falling leafs on heelside. Toeside was just not happening for me.

Last winter at Turoa I finally could afford a lesson. Cracked toeside, and started getting the hang of linking turns. And from then it was obsession.

Been almost every weekend at an indoor slope since December. Feeling much more confident now. Switch riding is okay, landing small jumps with a few successful 180s, a little bit of jibbing, and a start on buttering.

Really on working on my ollies now. Still don't have the courage of ollieing to rail. I think this is mental more than anything :dunno:

Looking forward to winter so I can unleash my new skills on a nice long run.

Nice to meet y'all :D

By the way, my setup is a Ride Crook 149cm, with Burton Custom bindings.

#2,388 ·
Hi! My turn to say hello!

My name is Doug, and I live in Philadelphia, PA. I'm 43 years old, and have a daughter who just turned 11. I grew up in central Illinois, and never set foot on a mountain with the exception of our family trip to the Rocky Mountains when I was about 8. I was a bit of a skateboarder in my teens (the late 80s), but was never able to do any tricks, or anything....just was an average rider. I like to bike and rollerblade, too. I did water ski a fair bit as a kid, and cross country skied as a teen (mostly on the flat grounds of a nearby golf course).

My daughter expressed an interest in snowboarding a few years ago, so I bought her a $20 "snowboard" from Target. It's red, plastic, and you just slide your feet into two plastic buckles on the top. She enjoyed it, though, and mastered going down our nearby hill pretty quickly.

For years, I'd been wanting to go to one of the relatively nearby mountains (Blue Mountain, Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Cambelback, etc.) to try my hand at skiing, but as my daughter's interest in snowboarding blossomed (especially after this year's winter Olympics), I thought, this is the year, let's just pick a date and go. So two Sundays ago, we drove up to Blue Mountain (about 90 minutes north of Philly), and purchased one of their (half price on Sundays!) rental/lesson/lift ticket packages. We took part in a group lesson that progressed through stages, and then practiced on the learning hills. We both decided that we might not be ready for a "real" trail (the "Vista" trail is the one we had access to), but we stayed till dark practicing, and really enjoyed ourselves.

Since then, I've been learning all I can about snowboarding: reading this forum, watching videos, visiting snowboard/ski stores, etc. I really had hoped to get back to Blue one more time before they close, but it probably won't happen, so we'll have to wait until next season.

I'm 6'2", and ride goofy foot. My daughter is about 5 feet tall, and rides normal.

Here's a picture of us at Blue:

#2,409 ·
Hi! My turn to say hello!

My name is Doug, and I live in Philadelphia, PA. I'm 43 years old, and have a daughter who just turned 11. I grew up in central Illinois, and never set foot on a mountain with the exception of our family trip to the Rocky Mountains when I was about 8. I was a bit of a skateboarder in my teens (the late 80s), but was never able to do any tricks, or anything....just was an average rider. I like to bike and rollerblade, too. I did water ski a fair bit as a kid, and cross country skied as a teen (mostly on the flat grounds of a nearby golf course).

My daughter expressed an interest in snowboarding a few years ago, so I bought her a $20 "snowboard" from Target. It's red, plastic, and you just slide your feet into two plastic buckles on the top. She enjoyed it, though, and mastered going down our nearby hill pretty quickly.

For years, I'd been wanting to go to one of the relatively nearby mountains (Blue Mountain, Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Cambelback, etc.) to try my hand at skiing, but as my daughter's interest in snowboarding blossomed (especially after this year's winter Olympics), I thought, this is the year, let's just pick a date and go. So two Sundays ago, we drove up to Blue Mountain (about 90 minutes north of Philly), and purchased one of their (half price on Sundays!) rental/lesson/lift ticket packages. We took part in a group lesson that progressed through stages, and then practiced on the learning hills. We both decided that we might not be ready for a "real" trail (the "Vista" trail is the one we had access to), but we stayed till dark practicing, and really enjoyed ourselves.

Since then, I've been learning all I can about snowboarding: reading this forum, watching videos, visiting snowboard/ski stores, etc. I really had hoped to get back to Blue one more time before they close, but it probably won't happen, so we'll have to wait until next season.

I'm 6'2", and ride goofy foot. My daughter is about 5 feet tall, and rides normal.

Here's a picture of us at Blue:
Hi Doug, I live in the Philly area, had a lot of good times at Blue this year!

I started snowboarding at about 13 (26 now) and lessons help a lot. I'm not sure how many different levels of instruction Blue has (just moved out here two years ago), but at this point instructors will definitely be a big help in getting you guys to the "real" trails. They'll be able to see little things in your riding that make balancing/turning/stopping much easier, and it probably won't take as long as you think to get to that level.

Once you guys learn to cruise, you can take it the difficulty as far as you want. Have fun and good luck!

#2,391 ·
Sup guys! My name is Luis, Im from Brazil, Im 40 years old.

I lived in Aspen, CO from 2000 to 2004 where I had the opportunity to ride pretty much every other day. In 2005 I came back to Brazil and since then Ive been riding all around South America and going back from time to time to North America.

In my last trip I went in December to Killington where I had a great time with a decent snow and not crowd at all. I had my Gnu Billy Goat stolen there, but I had a lot of fun.

In August Im going to Ushaia in Argentina. Ive been there before and if anyone is looking for a place to ride that time of the year with a lot of good snow, Ushuaia is the call!

I used to hit the parks big time, but at 40, married with kids, Im more an All Montain guy. Im buying a new board for my next trip and Im going with a Lib Tech TRS HP.

Hope everyone had a great season up there!

#2,392 ·
Welcome, and thanks for the tip! I've been looking for places to ride in August, and that sounds great!

Also, I just took my own brand new TRS HP out for the first time yesterday. The board has nice float, but had NO PROBLEMS carving up hard pack and some ice in the morning, and was a joy to ride after the snow loosened up a little.

I've been riding a beginner-intermediate camber board before that and this was beyond a world of difference! I never once felt like I was going to "catch an edge" unless I got really lazy (which I did, after I got on the board and had such an easy ride!).

All that, and the HP board was still lighter than my girlfriends 140 Roxy board. Crazy!

#2,396 · (Edited)
Hi,

Another new member here from CO's Front Range. I found this forum and was particularly interested in the backcountry trip reports. There are some great ones posted here.

I started snowboarding in 87/88 and used to ride backcountry (in the San Juan Mountains) in the 90's and sort of want to dabble getting back into that a bit. Avalanche fears are the main thing holding me back... that and lack of a reliable partner.

This has been a great year so far and I am re-motivated to do things beyond what I have settled into these past several years. Oh, and I am also older than 40 now... I was 17 when I picked up this sport, so I guess I have been doing this more than half my life now... kind of crazy to think about.

#2,400 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly new snowboarder. I rode 1 day with a group lesson at Terry Peak near Lead, SD in 2013 and for 1.5 days no lesson in march of 2014. I have 4 or 5 days under my belt at a place outside of Omaha, NE called Mt. Crescent. I got a 2hr private lesson there.

I'm a fragile old fart 35. I wear knee pads, wrist guards and huge ice fishing mittens to go over them, helmet, and a tailbone\hip\thigh protective shorts. (Mainly for the tailbone protection). I have to buy XXL pants because XL dont fit with the butt pads on.

I have K2 boots size 10, House branded bindings and a House (re-branded?) 24\7 board its either a 159 or 161. I picked it up off CL for $100. Its paid for itself on gear rental fees. I caught my toe edge and did some face first flying a few times and done some damage to the nose of the board. I think its called de-lam? I also have a slice in the board where I can see fibers. I think I can fix it with some ptex if I cant find a reasonable priced shop to do it as well as a tune-up for next year.

The board is a 4 screw setup. I'm looking at new bindings and boots for this winter. I'm really eyeing the flow step-in bindings.

As to my skill...I'm strong heel side. I ride left foot forward and normally have a 0\0 stance. My in-law suggested +15\0 for ease of toe side turning. I only rode a half day like that and tweeked my left knee. Not sure if it was the stance or one of my more epic crashes...hello toe edge, head-over-heels, helmet hits the hill, good times. I didnt get a chance to try it at Mt. Crescent for a baseline feel.

In order for me to link turns I have to slow down to fairly slow speeds and parallel to the base of the run. When I'm on my toe side I tend to angle downhill and never really face up the hill. Thats something I'm working on.

I also need to work on my stance. When I'm going for speed I find myself hunching over and resting my left elbow on my knee. Maybe I need to look into the width of my stance more?

Snowboarding has bitten into me hard and I'm loving it. I dont like being outside but snowboarding has changed that for me and my old ass needs the exercise. I'm looking forward to reading and viewing any tips and tricks from you guys. I'm also looking forward to making myself a better snowboarder in the process.

#2,402 ·
hello all!

have been stalking this forum for a while now, so I have leached a lot of good and very useful information from you guys. that's not going to stop :laugh: , but I will try to get on the 'supply' side of things whenever I can

I'm 26 and have been riding the quebec hills for about 8 years

and no, I'm not at work right now :unsure:

#2,405 ·
Hello everyone! I'm 24 years old, and this was my first season to ride a snowboard....and I love it! I tried it out kinda late in the season so I'm pretty sad this season is already coming to an end. Since the first weekend I rode, I have literally went to a resort every weekend after that with my fiance, who I learned from. I have never liked winter before this and I wanted to move to an area with a mild climate where I didn't have to see snow again
again. But now, I love winter and want to go somewhere where I can ride all year. Up to this point I am able to do a bit of carve and sort of ride switch. I dabbled a bit in the beginners terrain park last weekend and I couldn't successfully get over anything....I blame the slushy conditions on the day. Lol
Anyway, I hope this place can make the time go faster until the next riding season. Heh

#2,407 ·
Hello everyone! I'm 24 years old, and this was my first season to ride a snowboard....and I love it! I tried it out kinda late in the season so I'm pretty sad this season is already coming to an end. Since the first weekend I rode, I have literally went to a resort every weekend after that with my fiance, who I learned from. I have never liked winter before this and I wanted to move to an area with a mild climate where I didn't have to see snow again

again. But now, I love winter and want to go somewhere where I can ride all year. Up to this point I am able to do a bit of carve and sort of ride switch. I dabbled a bit in the beginners terrain park last weekend and I couldn't successfully get over anything....I blame the slushy conditions on the day. Lol

Anyway, I hope this place can make the time go faster until the next riding season. Heh

This is just like my story. Hated snow, hated winter, girlfriend taught me and now I absolutely love it all!

#2,411 ·
If you're on a budget, there's a used SBX forum out there you can get stuff cheaper. Brand new SBX boards range from $700 (Donek Razor, Volkl Coal Race) to about $1200-1800 (Kessler Cross, Oxess, Virus BX Comp, SG Force).

Apexsport Canada offers discounts on Kessler gear if you're a member of one of the national racing organizations. Worth looking into.

They also suggest Burton Diodes as the go to bindings, and I've found Burton Driver Xs to be an awesome combo with the Diodes for freecarving.

Not sure if there's a womens boot as stiff as the Driver X, there is NO womens binding as stiff as the Diode. If you can fit into a smaller Driver X that may be the go to boot.

Hope this helps!

#2,414 ·
Angie

I've been lurking around on these forums for a while now haha. Thanks for always posting super helpful stuff! 16 yr old from Ontario, started at 14 with my school's ski/board club and loved it ever since :) My family doesn't hit the slopes that often (anymore) so we only go maybe 3-5 a season which kinda sucks.

Using some deeluxe boots and the same morrow board I started learning with. The park looks like tons of fun but I've always been too spooked by it to go alone. Seems intimidating!