Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 32 Lashed Praise and Board Shop rant
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Nivek
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Yes, I know the concept is foreign to you as a college student, but people provide services in return for money

It is completely normal for shops to charge around $30-40 to heat mold boot that you didn't buy at the store (it has been this way for decades). It takes over a half hour and the attention of an employee... some places will do it for free if you buy them a pack of beer and come when the store is empty... but free or $5?!? that's less than what you would pay a shoe shiner.

Heat molding just speeds up the natural break-in process... if your boots feel good, don't bother.
You can also do it yourself (there are a few how-tos on the internet) if you can read and follow directions consistently and carefully... then just tip yourself $5
I have never charged a person for molding a snowboard boot. You put it on a glorified hairdryer, wait, have them put it on and lace it up tight, make them walk around and LOOK AT ALL THE PRODUCT IN YOUR STORE, then done. Why charge for that, no "service" was actually given as I didn't actually do anything. More often then not they find something they want to buy too.

If you really can't find a shop anywhere that will do it for free and REALLY want to mold them, take the insoles out, blast them with a hairdryer for about 5 minutes on low or medium (not high), lace up and stand/walk for 15 minutes. Snowboard boots are a lot less finnicky than ski boots. Molding doesn't take any expertise as it does with ski boots.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote