Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Riding switch..help!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
aiidoneus
Resident Snowman

When learning switch one thing I found helped in the very beginning was doing J turns. You start out on one edge, completely stopped. Lets say your toe edge, point your shoulder in the direction you want to go. Let yourself go down the fall line. Next engage your edge, and carve to a stop. Now you will be on your heel edge, so you can repeat with the opposite edge. Since it is only half of the linked turn it is easier to learn, and the speed is quite slow.

The biggest problem with riding switch I found was pressure and timing. When I wanted to disengage my edge and start switching to the other edge, I tended to have a balanced stance, BUT my back leg had more pressure. So I wasn't leaning in the back seat, but I was activley putting pressure on the back foot. This made it very awkward when I tried to turn. You really want to have a bit more pressure on the front foot as you start the turn, and then follow through with the back.

Switch is difficult for most people, best thing you can do it is practice, a lot.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote