Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - I Am Completely Lost
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Butterscotch

Default I Am Completely Lost

First of all, this is under my fiance's user name so I don't want to make it seem like he's the noob having all of these problems. But on to the trouble I've been having:

I am a beginner to snowboarding as this is my first season. I have all of the basics pretty well nailed down; I can go switch, ride heel side and toe side, stop without fail, can intermediately carve on heel/toe side and have no trouble with navigating around people in immediate situations. What I am having trouble with is finding that point to turn from heel side to toe side(vice versa) while carrying speed. And I do mean ANY speed whatsoever. It feels like I'm reducing myself to pretty much stopping and guiding the board around with my front foot and then slowly leaning onto the transitioning side.

I've gone snowboarding about 6 or 7 times now and yes, that's not really enough time to start complaining, but I really am stuck and have tried literally everything, even not thinking about it. It seems like one of my biggest problems is that I'll get a decent speed going across the mountain and go to transition back across and as soon as I start getting my board pointed downwind, it picks up immense speed. I know I had an issue with leaning on my back foot too much in which case I wouldn't be able to turn the board at all, but that isn't the case now. I can get the board turned just fine but I'll begin turning the board, and lowering my edge to prepare for the transition and as soon as I do, I catch my other edge or I just shoot off like a rocket down the hill.

We even messed around a little in our backyard with what little bit of snow we got this evening and found that I went waay faster than my fiance that was purposefully trying to go faster than me. I'm a fast learner, and I honestly feel comfortable with all that I am doing on the slopes, I just don't know how to fix this issue. I had heard something about twisting the board in a manner that would make the board turn, and it was suggested to me that this was something that everyone does whether they realize it or not. I may be subconsciously doing something like this but I don't know how to refine it and recognize it to make me a better rider. I've watch several of Snowolf's videos for beginners and on up and found them quite helpful, but this is something that I think he covered that just isn't sitting correctly in my mind. Any hints or suggestions or even any further questions to help me uncover what's going on?
Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote