Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#1,498 · (Edited)
IDK why PK & Holly aren't participating, and Alpine and Brighton are but their participation is so limited that it's almost not worth trying to work your schedule around it to get a discount :(

No idea why they stopped, but sure it's a $$$ issue. At some point they probably determined, or guessed (depending on how sophisticated of an accounting team they have and my guess is "not very") that the program was not benefiting them.

#1,500 ·
Your telling me! Someone tell me why swiss valley was closed the 3 days we've gotten heavy snow and then waited 2 days after that for "grooming" and by the time we could ski the weather was 55 degrees and the snow was almost ALL GONE! Very frustrated with the money I have spent this year for the quality I am getting at these places.

#1,501 ·
So I have been sitting in my chair thinking about how pissed I am with some of the local resorts and their "condition reports". I travel up to Michigan to do most of my boarding but I thought of an idea I assume everyone could benefit from. My idea is to create a website that allows everyday boarders like us to report the true conditions of different ski areas and resorts. I'm tired of the "we have 20in of groomed snow!" when in reality they barely have 3in. Some people have to travel and without knowing the actually conditions its a waste of gas. With this website we could post pics and share the truth about the conditions or the ski areas as a whole. What does everyone think? Should I create this website?!

#1,503 ·
Or we can all pitch in, get loans, and open our own resort. Very complicated with multiple hands, but end game is to at least break even and ride whenever we want.

Far fetched, I know. A guy can dream. The website is a good idea though because between everyone, one of us is always riding.

#1,505 ·
When (not if) I hit the lotto, I'm definitely buying at least one large chunk of land that includes some vertical, and I'll have some type of lift put in (even if its only a tow rope).

Mt. Holly charges $39 for a day? I'll let you guys use it for $37.99. Just kidding.

By the way... I still check this thread (obviously, if I'm posting this now) but I "liked" NS on facebook and noticed that they will be at Cannonsburg Ski Area on Saturday for a demo and some other stuff.

Thought you murder-mitten people would be interested in that tid bit of info.

#1,518 ·
Yea its about 4.25 hours from Sarnia but its def worth the drive. I love it there. I think the vertical is only comparable to the Boynes but I like it a bit better. The only downside is that there's only one face of the mountain. There arent any backside trails or glades. There are some glades between the groomers but nothing too impressive. Terrain parks aren't overly impressive but I'm usually there early season. I know Im not supposed to go to places for nightlife and villages but its pretty damn cool. Its owned by Intrawest, the same company that owns Whistler so you can imagine they have some bank!

#1,523 ·
FINALLY snow up here in the UP? PLEASE?

Epic storm blowing through, crossing my fingers :D

#1,528 ·
Sab I'm looking at a day-trip to C-burg next saturday. It's a long ass drive for me and I wish I could stay the night there but we've got prior commitments on Saturday evening back home. I'd probably be leaving my house around 630am in order to get there by 10, ride until 3 or 330 probably before heading home.

#1,530 ·
I think I can make the drive to C-burg in under 3hrs but I was budgeting more time in case I need to pick someone up along the way to carpool. When Jesse gets back from Canada I'll see if he wants to go, problem is though since he comes from Port Huron, the only logical place for us to meet up is in Lansing, which is halfway there for both of us!

#1,534 ·
Continued convo from twitter;

Gotta post it here so family and coworkers aren't all up in my biz.

Dubstep.

The closest way I can describe how dubstep makes me feel is this;

You know when you're banging a chick and sometimes you just can't cross the peak and bust one? It's like you're so damned close but it just ain't happening?

That's dubstep to me. You hear the potential for a badass bassline or beat and it never comes. It never peaks. You never get the satisfying payoff. It's frustrating listening to dubstep.