Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

is it impossible to butter on some boards or do i just suck?

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  t21 
#1 ·
i ride an 08 shaun white. i only tried a couple times, but i wasnt able to butter at all the last time i rode. ive read that the board tends to be a little stiff compared to most park boards.

is it futile for me to try to learn how to butter on this board, or did i just suck? :dunno:

#4 ·
I just lean back, bend the back knee and keep the front leg straight...Then just lean back and pull up with the front leg a little.

If that doesn't help, then try it and widen the stance a bit.

G
#5 ·
I can't butter my Santa Cruz board, but that's because according to them it's just slightly less stiff than a full race board. I can barely flex it by hand. So yes, it could be impossible to butter some boards. Also, if you're on the lower half of the weight rating for a board it will likely be more difficult to flex.

#19 ·
Most people do it wrong, so I would lean towards "work on your technique".

As @Minger said above, keep the front leg straight. This is really counter-intuitive for most people, so you'll need to practice it a few times.

And you're also not actually "lifting" with your front leg, which I think is what most people naturally assume is needed. Maintaining the front leg straight, while bending the back knee and squatting over the tail will naturally pull the nose up.

Ask @sabatoa how much that helped him with tail presses.

Another thing that may help you lock it is to nollie in to a tail press/ollie in to a nose press.

#10 ·
If you're 180 you can easily butter a 154 park board. Biggest thing is instead of using your legs to force the board up just focus on shifting your entire body over the tail of your board. Think about almost touching the snow behind your tail with your back hand and hold it their. I improved my butters a lot by reaching down and grabbing the tail of my board while buttering. This forced me to keep my weight back, and if I leaned too far back I could keep myself from falling back by supporting myself on my tail.

G
#11 ·
I always thought you had to be turned sideways for a butter :dunno:? Or are a tail press and a butter the same thing?

I couldn't and still can't butter (tail press) with my first board. 158 Morrow Press, and I weigh between 160 and 170. The day I started trying, I could only get the nose a couple inches off the ground. Later that day I rented a 160 Burton Fish and the first time I tried, the nose shot up about a foot off the ground. Never had any problems with a Gentemstick (esoteric Japanese powder board) or my Dominant either.

One thing I tried out last week that worked really well for me: Look down the hill instead of at the nose of the board and "feel it out". Doing this instantly made my butters (tail presses) longer and higher than they'd ever been.

#12 ·
aside from advice already given (which is all on point), your also need to slightlly counter-rotate your upper body. there is a natural tendency to veer off to toe-side on tailrides. counter-rotating your shoulders a touch will help off set this.

#13 ·
Toeside? For me, I end up going heelside and then when I end up going completely sideways, I half freak so my front foot goes down and no more butter, but no wiping out =]

I think tailpress and butter are the same thing.

#15 ·
So right now i'm riding a 2015 rossi one mag. I can butter with it but it feels pretty stiff to the point that I think it is holding me back on certain ground tricks. Holding me back in the sense that I can't press it very high and so on. Is this a valid point or do you think i'm just not flexing it properly?

#16 ·
Holding me back in the sense that I can't press it very high and so on. Is this a valid point or do you think i'm just not flexing it properly?
Bit of both imo. I'm no expert at buttering by any means, but going between soft to stiff boards I've found you need to be going a bit faster and put more weight into a stiff board, and just trust that it's not going to loop out on you. That trust is where I think most people fall short with a stiffer board, they're expecting to end up on their ass so they don't put any more weight into it, where if you're really wanting to flex the board that's exactly what you need to do. With the rockered tips on the one mag you should definitely be able to get a decent press out of it. Have you tried doing any tripods and then riding out in the press? I find that a great way to test the stiffness/weight needed to get a good flex but still be able to hold that flex.

#18 ·
I tried tail press a few times but each time i do my toeside edge would slide out on my Rossi one. I could butter ie nose press 180 (i ride regular)from toeside to toeside and heelside to toeside, but i could not tailpress at all for a few seconds. any inputs could help thanks!

#27 ·
@basser, i guess you are right about the tail being stiff cuz everytime i try to nose press 180 from toeside switch to toeside regular i could not raise my nose as much.
@ redlude97, i slide towards my heelside everytime i try tailpressing. Someone mentioned that not to force lifting my front foot but instead lean back more, ill try that next time. Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.