Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Riding straight and fast
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
TXBDan

Default Riding straight and fast

Hello all,

I'm an intermediate level snowboarder, riding blues and blacks. I think i'm decent at linking turns both skidded and carving, I can also dynamic ride well to control speed.

The problem for me comes when i want to go straight! Sometimes i either want to bomb straight down the mountain, or even just cruise at a good clip at the bottom of a run as it levels off. I feel really unstable going straight. I'm not trying to ride flat so i keep a little toe or heal pressure, but that seems to turn me too much and so i'm zigzagging more than i want. I see other guys fly by me just bombing or cruising straight down. It looks like they're riding flat, are they?

If i ride flat it feels like my board wants to spin/pivot/rotate on me. I'm goofy and it feel like my back/left leg wants to move backward rotating me counterclockwise. So I consciously use force to keep my rear leg stuck behind me and it uses a strange groin muscle. hah doesn't seem right. It almost feel like if i rotated my shoulders forward it would help counter this rotation but that doesn't seem right.

Things i'm keeping in mind is to put as much weight as i can on my front leg and to keep my shoulders parallel with the board.

Stance is symmetrically ducked. It almost feels like i want my rear foot more ducked so that it pulls the back of the board in but i don't think thats the proper solution.

I'm riding my new T Rice Pro which is a hybrid rocker and it likes to pivot a bit easier than my old tradition cambered board. So now i'm really focused on this problem.

Any ideas here? Thanks a lot
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote