Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Ohio Snowboarding

17K views 93 replies 27 participants last post by  Redline 
#1 ·
Hey I'm from Ohio and just wanted to start a thread where people who love to snowboard like I do can just chill and talk. feel free to post anything, what you ride, where, anything

#39 · (Edited)
Bummer man, I missed this post, I was at Boston Mills that day though.

Does anyone know any info on the Louie Vito Rail jam at Mad River? I'm going down to Dayton for the holiday's and might be able to stop over. Would it be worth it? And how is Mad river itself? Thanks
I've heard good things about it (both the rail jam and the resort) as far as Ohio snowboarding is concerned, and their trail map is more interesting than BMBW. Let us know if you go, they have some double blacks there and would like to hear about them compared to Tiger at BM, lol. BMBW claims Tiger is the steepest ski slope in Ohio, but I'm just curious as to why they are labeled double black.

#40 ·
So I ended up going and it was pretty cool. The double blacks were jokes compared to tiger to be honest but the runs were a lot more dynamic. It kinda seems like a fat boston mills with slightly better parks. Also ended up with a picture and autograph from louie vito so that was pretty sweet. Worth the time for sure

#44 ·
7 springs is a pretty good place. May not have the best snow but top rated park on the east coast, number 4 pipe in the nation, and the base lodge (if your over 21) is rather awesome. They have like 4 bars inside it's a good time.
Heading to snowshoe with some friends for the first time black Friday for 2 days. That should be a good weekend since it's there opening weekend.

#50 ·
Due to the slow start to the season due to no snow, seems this forum is pretty quiet. Looks like we finally have consistent cold temps and the Ohio resorts are getting more snow blown and more runs open. I hope to make my first trip up to MRM this upcoming weekend. I'll post a summary of conditions, etc., if I make it up.

If anyone does read this and goes to MRM, hit me up.

Me: 42 years old, started skiing as a teenager and switched to snowboarding in 87. I'm mostly an all-mountain, freestyle, play-around and have fun kind of guy. Just started venturing into the park last year but would like to spend more time learning there. Girlfriend skis and we are usually at MRM every weekend taking runs and having beers in the lodge.

MeanJoe

#56 ·
Everywhere is once clubs show up. Snow trails will get like 6 bus loads at once. Days over then...

P.S. RRRAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! Fuck.

Also. Just curious, but who all sponsors Capitol park? I know Technine, but does Louie Vito? Saw he was there the other week when I was in Colorado.

#55 ·
Made it to Mad River last Saturday for a few hours. They had most trails open and decent coverage. Snow quality was much better than I had expected considering the weather in Ohio so far this year. Capital Park and Momentum were both open but I assume as conditions improve we'll see more features. I am very much a beginner in the park so didn't really spend time there on my first day out of the year. I'm heading back up Saturday and Sunday of this weekend so hope to take a few laps in the park.

Raining today but supposed to shift to cold temps tomorrow and they're going to begin blowing snow again through Saturday.

MeanJoe

#59 ·
Mad River Mountain

Went out Friday night from 10:30-3:00 ... it took 1.5 hours to get there from Columbus (really people, 35mph for freezing rain? wtf) but the weather magically turned that crappy freezing rain into large snow chunks. I made the mistake of bringing my "ice destroyer" GNU custom and found myself not even having enough speed to hit any of the smaller features - most likely the best "powder" that Ohio will have the rest of the year. Unfortunately it is ~60 degrees right now or I would be heading there after work. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for Holiday Valley in March.

#60 ·
I was at mad river from 10-2 friday and 5:30-2 saturday, coming from columbus. I drive the red BMW 318i vert with a smashed front end, you might have seen me driving around you and all the other slow drivers :) Even driving home during the short blizzard friday night I was doing 55-70mph, I couldn't see a damn thing for the first 10 minutes, headlights lit up all the snow and blinded me. I turned my headlights off for a while so I could actually see where I was driving. At 70 the snow would freeze to the windshield even using the sprayers, at 55 the defrost and washer fluid would overpower it and clear the windshield so I could pass people again. I waxed my board with some cold temp swix(?) wax and my board was fast at fV<K friday and 1/2 the day saturday.

#61 ·
Went out last friday to MRM early to try to beat the wave of people. Lo and behold two hours later (6 PM'ish) 10 fully packed greyhound buses pull up.

Whatever, fuck em, as long as they don't directly interfere, right? Of course not. I decided early in the day to pretty much focus my attention towards park and got a good few hours from it... until the buses showed up. Then it was absolute hell. What makes a person think "well since I can't make it down the small hill known as MRM without falling, I'll head to the park to try my luck at jumps and rails"?. Really?

Again, fuck it, I'll move on and go for the large jumps. But wait! No, thats not going to happen beacuse each landing is infested with teenagers that think I can see through a 10' wall of snow or mabye I can magically change my approach in MIDAIR to avoid putting my board through their face. Who knows. Either way I'm fucked. And of course it's my fault according to ski patrol - "You're just lucky we don't take your pass" Fuck you. Eat shit. Take my day pass and shove it right up your ass.

I thought my buddies were going to crack a rib laughing from the scene I made with the ski patrol fella... granted I did get a little out of hand with the eat shit comment but no way I was going to keep quiet about this. As of Friday night I am "No longer welcome at MRM". What a joke of a place.

End Rant.

Ps. The kid was lying on the ground not from wiping out but from waiting for his friends to come down the jump... I supposed the middle of the landing is the right place to take a nap these days.

#62 ·
Your going to have that at these small ass places. Not enough room for everyone to spread out Expecially in the park. I go to snowtrails and on Friday Saturday nights I don't go anywhere near the parks until the busses start rolling out. Have about a 15+ minute wait for the lift! My favorite is when ski patrol decides to take a run thru the park because they are bored of all the other runs and then stop directly infront of a feature to watch their buddy go down the hill or talk. I sprayed two a year ago because they cut me of and stopped right before the takeoff of a jump. They just skied to the bottom and gave me a shitty look. That traveling Ski patrol around here are shitty they just think they own everything and people just need to get out of their way. Even the lady that works the cash register in the caffateria bitches about them lol.

Anyways after a shitty season last year only a few months left! Weather reports are calling for cold and snowie! Not that you can rely on the predictions but you can hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.