Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Stolen snowboard at Mt Snow, Vermont anyone seen it
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
squid267

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_D View Post
My brother and I just had our first experience this past Sunday with this. We were at a resort and left our boards in the racks in front of the lodge while getting something to eat...we went back outside and his GNU was gone. We reported it but it turns out 4 other boards were stolen that day. I definitely would love to find out who did it, but you just feel so helpless, you know?

Board theft is so low. My bro and I have season passes, and worked for everything we own. At least he got to snowboard his last day with it before it was stolen, though. Sorry to hear your story. Make sure to report it to the police with identifiable marks, because they usually stay in touch with what's going on at pawn shops, etc.
I know exactly how you feel. Seems pay your age is a spree day for thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I just don't get why so many people don't lock their boards up no matter how long they are leaving it unattended. Serious advice here, call me an ass or whatever, but I'm really trying to reason with you guys...

You have invested money in this sport. That money is likely not chump change for most of you (it isn't for me for sure). A board lock costs less than $20. Maybe a little more if you go out and get a legit chain lock or something. But keep in mind, even the most generic board lock is enough of a deterrent to a board thief. There are tons of unlocked boards lying around so why would they other clipping yours? Even then, it's not too much trouble to get a bike lock or something more legit.

It takes all but a minute to lock your board up. This minute provides much better security for your investment. Would you leave even a dollar bill on a table while you use the bathroom? Probably not. So why leave your gear that probably set you back $200+? Sure, the dollar bill is easily stuffed into your pocket. Just like a board is easily locked. You do not even have to carry the lock around with you. Choose a convenient spot, and just lock the chain up to the rack when not in use. Come back to it.

I hope you find your board buddy. If you lived by me, I'd lend you a board meanwhile. But play it safe next time and protect your investment. Your time is much more wasted when your setup is stolen compared to the time spent securing it.
You're not an ass. You're totally right. I had a small burton cable lock. Wish I used it. Obviously learned a good lesson. Get a good bike lock and never leave unattended.
squid267 is offline   Reply With Quote