Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Another board decision help thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
strangerDanger

Default Another board decision help thread

So I'm looking into purchasing my first setup and would love some input from those in the know. A little about where I stand: I'm 5'11, 165lbs, size 10 boot, and primarily stick to the East Coast. I started snowboarding last season but was only able to get to the slopes a handful of times. So far this season I've made a few weekend trips with a few more planned and have improved quite a bit, at least compared to last season, and would say I probably sit somewhere in between a beginner and intermediate; I can link turns quite well (though admittedly, weak on my toe edge) and am comfortable on most blues. Up to this point I've only run groomers but would love to try my hand at park sometime in the future.

So given that background, I've been doing some research over the past few weeks trying to find a setup that would suit my style. Most charts say I fit somewhere between 156 and 160 give or take a few given the style of riding. Because I mostly run groomers but would also someday like to get into park, I'm looking for an all-mountain board that would serve me well in both styles. I'm trying to work on a budget, keeping the board + binding total cost under $350, as with my level of experience I don't think I'll get much benefit out of an expensive board compared to a cheaper, beginner-level one. I'm not opposed to buying used and have actually been digging around craigslist and ebay, but have also been looking at online retailers and their shitty-weather and last-season sales. Here a few of the boards/packages I've found that may fit the bill:
  • Forum JP Walker 154 + Nitro binding (Forum snowboard 154cm) - another 154, which I feel may be a bit small

I realize that this is just a cluster of a list, but I'm only working with my limited experience and knowledge here. If it makes any difference, every time I've ridden I've rented a Burton LTR as the only other option has been step-ins, which I don' think I'd be a fan of, so that is what I'm accustomed to. Any kind of feedback would be awesome.
strangerDanger is offline   Reply With Quote