Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Advice on taking a 180 to a jump

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  slyder 
#1 ·
Recently I've been trying to land a bs 180 on a 10' jump at my hill and I keep sketching out on the takeoff and not getting any rotation. :confused: The lip on the jump is really sharp and its hard to get a rotation going on it.

I've been riding for about 5 or 6 years now but mostly free riding and I've just started getting into freestyle this year. I'm 5'8" 135 pounds and ride regular. My 180 are on lock on side hits and rollers but I just can't get them on this jump. :mad:

Any help given is appreciated thanks for reading my post.

#2 ·
Make sure you are doing a set up turn. When you are approaching the lip do a heel side turn and as you begin to travel up the lip do a toe side turn and take off straight but still from your edge. This will help your rotation. Since 180 is such a small spin you wont need to pre wind. Pop off both feet and let the rotation come naturally and calmly. The way I spot the landing on my back 1's is by looking up hill until I see the knuckle pass under me. Bend your knees as you land and look forward and ride away switch.

#10 ·
What generally happens is when you take these 180`s to an actual park feature, you over think it as a result of anxiety. This is common and I think at some point we all did this. You are already doing 180`s off of natural hits so just relax and don`t over think them on the 10 foot table.
That's me to a tee :laugh:

#21 ·
Donutz, so your board landed perpendicular to the landing ramp and you face planted. Or you literally corked a bit and landed on your face???
Either way ouch, I was gonna get out today but started feeling under the weather....so stayed home and watched a crappy Packer game...

#22 ·
Not sure how "corked" works, I didn't turn forward. I basically rotated so that my head was out front of my board. I managed to get the nose of the board to hit first so I didn't just land on my lead shoulder, but I think that caused me to turn and land face-first. At least that's how I recall it. Happened kind of fast. I got up, shook my head to get the snow off my face, made that cartoon sound when you shake your head, then noticed a vertical crack on my lens right between my eyes. "Eep", says I.

I'd been having a problem today with coming off the jump too far back on my board -- a problem I usually have with a steep takeoff ramp -- and I was trying to correct it. Not doing it right :rolleyes:

The good news about these types of crashes is that (at least in my case) it actually improves my confidence because it really didn't hurt anything except my pride :eek: so I'm a little more willing to just huck it next time. I landed a couple of good ones after that, so I'm not freaked out.

#23 ·
I haven't been jumping at all this year. I got so wrapped up in the rails I didn't want to do to much at once so I just stuck with rails.
I know my jumping needs work, my boy is now hitting, my guess, 20' gappers and landing nicely on the down ramp. I'm not there yet and with the bad snow not sure I'll be doing much jumping. Trying to really dial in the rails.

Glad it wasn't much of an impact for you. keep at it and share some pics we really need more pics from fellow members to encourage us, or at least me...

#24 ·
Slyder no real reason to concentrate on one thing or the other. The skills you learn from one help with the other. With jumping you get comfortable with speed toward a lip and jibs give you confidence with awkward landings. Both translate to the other.

#25 ·
true but part of it is my personality....I want to be able to be able to ride the rails then I will move on to the jumping. It's hard for me to bounce around trying to get better at both, or several things at once, so I just concentrated on rails. My limited jumping from last year has given me the ability to land and stay in control on many of our icy landings around the features. Plus I can now land switch as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.