Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Is there anyone on here in Japan?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
dreampow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onji View Post
I weigh in at about 68kg (+2kg for kit for skijo riding) (+5kg for BC riding). Well....... I'm assuming we've got lighter and better pow than Honshu (that's what all my mates here say), but to be honest I've never ridden anything epic in Honshu, furthermore I've only ridden 4 days in Honshu.

But yeah the fresh pow is certainly light & dry in the skijo's.... usually knee deep after a dump. In the BC it's super light, super fluffy, and at this time of year bottomless (you WILL posthole in regular snowshoes, gotta have pow snowshoes or a splitboard), I'm sure the local temps are helping, it rarely rises above -5C this time of year.

I don't like to setback my bindings because I ride switch about 1/4 of the time in the SC/BC, that and I'm trying to get myself pretty much ambidextrous on my deck.......

@Memphis - Your riding a 180cm... crikey, that's a long deck!...... Is that your main stick for riding?
I have no complaints about the pow in Nagano, but you clearly have the best up there.
On good days its very light here and I don't set back because I also prefer to ride switch about 30-40% of the time in pow and on groomers.

Often as the day goes on I need to setback to stay afloat because the pow gets heavier.
Still amazing pow though.

Also you are about 10 kilos lighter than me on a board more or less the same length and maybe a touch wider, which will help a lot. I am 78-80 kilos without my pack.

I also have a 161, but its semi-directional as well and not so good for riding switch in pow.

I love to do little spins of natural hits too so I am always trying to be as close to centered as I can. Thats also why I prefer my 158 Highlife to my 161 Volkl because its much easier to spin and do grabs off little hits.

This year I have my season pass for Nozawa but next year I will plan a trip up to Hokkaido.

Would love to try your TRice as well. I have always ridden semi-directional boards and a true twin that can kill the pow sounds amazing. I would probably need to be on the 161 for that though.

Here is a few shots and a brief report of my trip.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tri...tml#post467477
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote