Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#1,539 ·
Finally got to hit the 8 inches of beautiful powder that hit the other day. Rode at just a small hill nearby, but did pretty damn good considering the extended break I unfortunately had to sit through. Will go again tomorrow and have classes until late Monday, but may try to hit it again Tuesday When I get to leave at 11 :D

#1,540 ·
I'll be at Mt. Holly tomorrow (Sunday) for the day session. Black pants, brick red jacket, black helmet. I ride a Donek (soft boots, though). I'm not much of a park rider, so I'll be all over the hill. I'll be there with my son, who's 5 and on skis.

Say hi if you see me.

#1,541 ·
Didn't get to go today, but going to try Tuesday and Thursday this week. Monday not looking so good, going to hit 36, but still going to snow Monday and Tuesday, Tuesday hitting about 15 degrees.

#1,543 ·
I am planning to ride Monday day session since I have the day off work. I'm hoping that the slightly warmer temps will make that ice sheet a bit more tolerable.

I have not been to Alpine Valley yet this year so may head out that way. Anyone else in the area send me a PM if you're heading out during the day session.

I rode Pine Knob on Saturday evening didn't make it up there until about 730pm and rode until about 1040p. It was very icy, not so much the ice cubes effect but there were definitely sheets of ice where I almost ate it because I was bombing and trying to lay in to a skid (thx muscle memory!) and what surprised me was a number of posthole boot holes scattered randomly near the rollers. I kept watching, figured I'd see someone catch a tip and eat it but everyone successfully avoided them.

#1,544 ·
Funny you mention pine knob....we almost went there. Alpine is a bit closer for us though. I was thinking of going Monday as well but after today I will pass. I was bombing down a run when it changed from snow covered ice to the cubes so I went more on edge to keep from getting tossed around.....yeah that was until I carved right against a block of ice...nearly bit it.

#1,545 ·
Interesting about conditions at Alpine and Pine Knob. Mt. Holly had very good conditions on Sunday, only it was fairly crowded. Not the most crowded I've ever seen, but the beginner area was just crazy. We rode under the Mozart chair for most of the day, but my young son likes to go back to the yellow lift or beginner rope tow when he gets tired. Late afternoon those runs were like an obstacle course with fallen beginners everywhere.

#1,546 ·
I'm going Friday AM again. Looks like this is my normal once a week day. Definitely less riding than what I like, but with a kid and another on the way, I'll take it. Next season is likely going to be worse.

I can however choose to ride on weekends too. It's just that I love Friday AMs because the hills aren't crowded. I'm strongly considering going to C-Burg this week. I'm even thinking about Crystal.

#1,549 ·
I wouldn't mind hitting a box here and there (but I will likely hurt myself as I have never hit a park feature), but don't want to spend all my time there. I too would rather hit the natural stuff. I like tree runs, long blues, and steeps.

I am going to wait until after we get back from Colorado before attempting any park stuff...I would be pissed if I got hurt and ruined that trip. LOL

We may go up for Crazy days at Nubs in March. I would like to get up to Crystal though soon.

#1,550 ·
I wouldn't mind hitting a box here and there (but I will likely hurt myself as I have never hit a park feature), but don't want to spend all my time there. I too would rather hit the natural stuff. I like tree runs, long blues, and steeps.

I am going to wait until after we get back from Colorado before attempting any park stuff...I would be pissed if I got hurt and ruined that trip. LOL

We may go up for Crazy days at Nubs in March. I would like to get up to Crystal though soon.
If you're going to do Holly this Friday, I might just go there so we can have another person to ride with. It's not really like I am going to make use of C-Burg's whole park setup. I just want to experience it. That can always wait though.

#1,552 ·
I could do Saturdays, but wouldn't be able to THIS Saturday because I have a party that I committed to going to. I pick Fridays because less crowds by far.

I'm not a picky rider, but when it comes to crowds I am. I left Alpine Valley once after a few runs due to crowds. I got that annoyed.

#1,571 ·
Looks like a tentative day at C'burg on Thursday morning for my gf and I. Hopefully we get the snow that the TV weather guy said was on the way :D. I fell madly in love with powder during a couple days at Marquette Mountain last year.

Has anybody snowboarded Pando or Bittersweet? Are either of those decent for newbies to get their feet wet? Also, girlfriend needs a rental set of equipment; I didn't know if Pando rented boards or not.

#1,576 ·
its been a minute but i have been to bittersweet. its def an okay place for newbs. i remember a few easy runs right off the main chair. i spent more of my time at timberridge tho. they had killer deals for college students and had better steeps. ive never been to pando. sounds like dave and i might be doing a double shot [pando/cburg] this wknd.

#1,575 ·
its not worth it in my opinion. i was at blue mountain last wknd and their park is as good as any setup in michigan. the resorts in northern michigan would be closet to what you'd experience at blue but then your looking at a 7-8 hour drive. every place in lower michigan is moreless a bunny hill with rope-serviced terrain parks.

#1,579 ·
Bit of homework, then off to hit some of today's fresh snow :D

#1,580 ·
Boo I had to cancel Friday. Looks like I'm out of commission for a couple weeks. In-laws are out of country until the 8th and wife might have jury duty this Thursday which will cut my work hours so I need to work Friday if so.

Only way to get out now is if the sister in-law is willing to babysit. Now you know and knowing is half the battle. GOOOOOO JOOOOEE!