Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What is the best way to find an instructor?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
gjsnowboarder
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobetty View Post
I took my first snowboarding lesson a few weeks ago during a visit to Colorado, and had no idea what I was doing or that I would even like snowboarding. I just signed up for private lessons at Eldora, and was paired up with a really great instructor. I fell completely in love with snowboarding, and I want to continue to learn and improve as much as possible. Now that I'm back home (DC/Northern VA area) I'd love to take lessons again. I went to a local hill a few days ago and practiced what I learned so far, but I think I'd like to take another lesson or two, or however many I need. Is that the best way to go about doing it - to just sign up for lessons at a local resort and let them pair me up with someone? Is there a process that goes into pairing up a student with an instructor, or is it random? Does it matter where I take the lessons? (Meaning, is there any other thought I need to put into it?) Thanks in advance for any advice!
The group lesson process typically doesn't allow for much selection of instructor. If lessons aren't very busy they will try to pair students to the requests they make but don't count on it. you can typically request gender, maturity, certification, amongst other requests if you don't know a particular instructor. Typically the higher up in level you reach the smaller group lessons tend to be.

Best option is to go with a private and request a certified instructor or veteran instructor. These instructors have but in the time and have the experience to help you succeed faster ("veteran" doesn't necessarily mean "old in age"). Once you have hit the level 4 stage, i.e. ability to connect toe and heelside turns on green terrain I would suggest to cutting down to half day lessons so that you get some mileage to work on what you have learned and just have fun without out one of us "watchers" paying attention to your every move.

There is always something new to learn or some tip to get more effecient or effective in our riding. On the snowboarding side of sliding disciplines this seems to be forgotten. Remember even pro riders typically have coaches.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote