Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Powder Board Suggestions!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bobby Budds

Default Powder Board Suggestions!

Hey guys,

I come here to ask you guys some suggestions. I'm trying to make a purchase and I figured there would be no where better to ask some board junkies for advice than here.

Weight:200
Height:5'11"

Currently I ride a 156 GNU Park Pickle(twin). I really like this board for riding groomers. I like that with the reverse camber it's almost impossible to catch an edge. One thing I dislike about the board is it's hard to shred through choppy stuff and I find myself getting shot over the bumpy stuff when speed checking. I don't like jibbing it hurts too much now that I'm 30. I really just enjoy shredding and small to medium jumps, and ollieing off every roller I can.

I have done a few back country trips and I had the chance to ride a Burton Fish, and a Burton Mololo. These boards rode so wicked in the powder. I really like the s-rocker. When I do my cat trips they always provide a powder board so I really don't need to buy a strictly powder board. I might buy a fish next year anyways. I know one of these boards would be awesome to own, but I don't think they would fair well on groomers. If I had my choice I'd never ride a groomer again, but lets be realistic. Cat's and Heli's get expensive real quick, and I'm too old and no where good enough to get sponsored lol.

On Jan. 3 I was at Mt. Washington(Vancouver Island) and we got about 40 cm in one day. There was waist deep powder in the drifts. The park pickle held up fine to ride straight through the powder but was too floppy to carve powder in the steep terrain. The whole time I was riding I was thinking I wish I was on a mololo or fish right now. As well after setting my bindings back and setting up directional to do well in the pow, I left it like this the next time I rode groomers. I realized how much more I like riding a directional than a twin.

So I need to find a directional board I can ride on groomers, and will do very well in powder. I need a board that can get me through the choppy shit when I'm heading to the backside on mountains to find the powder stash. I need a board that after I'm done hiking, and riding pow will ride nicely on the groomers and will make groomers still enjoyable. If I can find a board that is great for landing jumps and ollieing mixed in with my requirements all the better. I would like to be able to bring my board to back country too rather than always using there s-rockers. I'd like to try something different for a change. I know I'm asking for a lot in one board but I'm sure there is something out there for me.

I do have a thing for lib-tech's but I'm not opposed to hearing about boards from the smaller custom manufacturers. I know the quality is high with these boards and they are cheaper. I just haven't had the time to put in the kind of research to find a board that would be best suited to my needs.

This is where you guys come in. I know a lot of you guys are so passionate about boarding you know the differences between different manufacturer's models. I'm hoping some of you can make some suggestions and I can further do some research to get me my versatile dream board. Thanks for hearing me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bobby Budds is offline   Reply With Quote