Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Mexico

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  newnew 
#1 ·
totally digress from snowboarding....but i'm sure some of you have been there, if not most. i'm planning to go in march for american spring break and i wanna know what are some good places to check out in cancun? what's the average price the trip should cost (without expenditures) and if you suggest going anywhere else?

some advise would be great

#2 ·
Senor Frogs, Daddy O's and coco bongo are pretty fun if you want to just get hammered and find a piece of ass (probably a spring break chick). Some of the day trips we did were really cool, took a bus trip to see chichen itza, but that's only if you want to see mayan ruins and see a bunch of peddlers. Tulum and Xel Ha were also really cool, but again, these are not really party places, they're ancient Mayan architecture and basically an aquatic eco-park/zoo.

#4 ·
Tulum is pretty sweet. Nice beaches, nice water (not a bunch of crap to step on in the ocean), a really nice, pretty quiet place if you're trying to work off a hangover. It's mostly eco resorts, so if you're a fan of a/c, not a place you'd find super comfortable. I liked it, but I've also had to stay in bad biology lab stations in the middle of the rainforest...

#7 ·
Western Mexico (Yucatan and Quintana Roo) are fairly safe, touristy and developed. I'm not sure on resorts, we stayed at a few different ones with all inclusive and they're all pretty nice. Some might have slightly better customer service, some might have better amenities. There are basically three tiers: bargain bin which aren't that great, mid level which are probably what you want (look for age of construction) and then the ones for honey-mooners and people with loads of dough.

Keep in mind that in 2005, a huge hurricane came through and wiped out a lot of stuff and the rebuilt most of it in '06. So if you can find something like that, it should be fairly new and nice.

#8 · (Edited)
In College I went for Spring Break(2003) and stayed at Oasis Playa which was nice and had a good party atmosphere without all the craziness and you could also go to their sister hotels for free. The Oasis is the big spring break party hotel if you are looking for the really wild place. We went for a week and went through a local travel agent and spent about $1000 for air/hotels. We did the clubs everynight and most of the bigger hotels will have a shuttle from your hotel to take you to the bars with the hotel activities staff. Most of the time it would cost about $50 which includes immediate access to the club and all you can drink. You will have to take the public bus home which is only 60 cents or take a taxi but the public transportation is fine as it will all be spring breakers. If you are a drinker I would definetly stay at an all-inclusive(we did). My wife and I did an anniversary trip last summer to Cancun and stayed at Sun Palace but its a couples resort and alot pricier. There are several big companies that specialize in Student travel so look into them online.

Cancun is not as dangerous as some make it out to be, they depend on tourism and if you stay in the Hotel zone you will be fine. Its just like anywhere if you pay attention to your surroundings you will be fine but if you get crazy drunk and act a fool expect to get messed with.

You will have a blast and the week will go by faster than you want it too.

#10 ·
i was reading on trip advisor and everyone gave oasis such bad reviews...like terrible reviews. but i'm just wondering if trip advisor is just full of married couples that go on their honeymoon and stuff. if it's anything like the snowboarding trips i go on with a bunch of randoms then fuck it'll be epic. how were the beds? i always hear the sleeping arangements aren't that good there. beds are hard and stiff, uncomfortable to sleep in. right now the oasis is currently going for about $1200/person. i was looking at the riu resorts and that's going around $1500 person which i hear is kind of expensive but :dunno: never been anywhere. oasis does sound not bad though, even though it got terrible reviews

#9 ·
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe is pretty nice. We had a group that stayed there a couple of years ago. It's a very large gated resort, nice rooms, bars and pools all over the place. I think we payed something like 1200.00 per person (all inclusive) for 6 days 7 nights with air fare included. Good food too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.