Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Boards of the past
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stuntman

Default Boards of the past

Hello,

First post here, and I have a question for those boarders who have seen board technology change over the last decade.

Short version of my story. Had only skied a couple times, moved out East to go to school. Started boarding using a hand me down board I bought off of a buddy. Really enjoyed riding and the fact that I had regular access to the mountain. Bought a season pass and inherited an OLD Burton Air board(older than the hills, but better than the board I was using). I'd say I was approaching an intermediate skill level in my prime.

During that time, I got the opportunity to ride a friend's board. It was, in its time (around '05) a nice board. It was the Dynastar Concept XDLR autodrive. Later research said this board was developed with Xavier DaLarue (hence the XDLR) for boardercross. The bottom line is, the board blew my mind in how much it seemingly improved my abilities. So I continued riding my old burton air hoping to find another of these boards for sale on the used rack.

So it's been a few years since I tried that board, and although I moved further away from the big mountains, I'd like to keep boarding, and make it out a few times a year.

So my question: Is it silly for me to try and track down one of these old, "limited release" boards? I know there are probably newer, better boards out there now, but I feel like I finally found one that "fit me." albeit a 5+ year old board. And the truth is, I'm not sure I will every make it out enough anymore to warrant wrapping up a ton of money in a new board. The other fact is that I may be completely ignorant in how good a new board can be. The truth is, I've only boarded on the two super old boards of mine, and the Dynastar. Perhaps most boards out there would blow my mind?...

What says the board guru's? Anyone familiar with this board to know if it is worth pursuing? If not, is there a new board (or newer used model) you guys would suggest? I realize now, that with my much more limited slope time, I need a board that is easy to pickup and ride with long intervals in between, and one that feels good going down groomed blues and blacks.

Thanks for any insight,
Stuntman
Stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote