Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Whats Your Favorite Wax?

15K views 56 replies 33 participants last post by  NightRider2613 
#1 ·
Hey all,
In the process of experimenting and trying some new wax. Im currently using Burton all-temp wax and got tired of it. Heard great things about Hertel and Bluebird. Riding east coast i wax just about every time i go. Just wondering what wax you guys use.
Thanks

#2 ·
i ride in virginia and ive been using dakine all temp wax seems to be working well but i havent experimented with other waxes. this weekend at snowshoe mountain im going to pick up oneballjay's all temp and some other graphite stuff you "mix" in with it to make it faster and supposed to last longer. i also wax my board every time i go. where do you ride east coast?

#5 ·
it's wax... who cares.. buy cheap, buy lots and wax religiously

#10 ·
Swix CH6 Blue 21 to 10 deg F
Toko Red S3 Hydrocarbon 25 to 14 deg F .Economical
Swix F4 Fluoro for wet snow, also ok for an all temp wax.More expensive,gives off nasty chemical fumes if overheated
Swix CH4 for below 14 deg F down to as cold as you may be out there. Must be scraped when warm otherwise just chips off and flies everywhere.A real pain to work with.
Last winter I used CH6 for everything until wet spring conditions then Swix CH8.
Obviously , these temperature ranges are just guidelines.

Heads up, I used Holmenkol Orange(23 degF and up) for a storage wax, as it was inexpensive.It stained the bottom of my lighter colored bases.I can't recommend it for anything except black bases.

#11 ·
I just discovered Kuu Mach Wax. Best I've ever had. My 2 buddies used cheap wax for the same temps that day and I was a lot faster. Of course we were on different boards which makes this comparison a bit sketchy but at least we were all on sintered bases :p

#12 ·
Of all the over-analyzed elements of this sport, wax and waxing has to be at the top of the list.

Any decent wax of the appropriate temperature range is fine unless you're racing or something. You probably won't be able to tell a huge difference. Melt it on, spread it around, scrape it off, and go fucking ride.

It's really that simple. If you're corking and polishing and buffing with your nutsack or whatever, you're just wasting your time IMO. That shit might make an impact for a run or two at most. Just fucking ride.

#18 ·
For me proper wax is everything. A good wax job will improve board handling and reduce fatigue.

IMO Swix makes the best wax- great recipes with no added crap to make it smell better. That being said I've used One Ball 4WD wax in the backshop for years and love it. When properly blended my wax jobs are faster than everybody else on the hill almost every time.

I don't use "all-temp" wax, ever.

#21 ·

Been using paraffin wax for years. never had a problem with it...I will get crucified by some on here but I dont care. I have history on my side 40 years worth...

paraffin is the base of all waxes. it goes on smoother, coates more evenly, scrapes off easily and I dont even buy it....I go to moms pantry and grab a bar..

this has been used for generations on skis which have the same primary materials as snowboards....

again people will shit on me but I dont care. it works

It is pretty much the same but the one thing that I have read is that straight Paraffin wax may not last as long as other wax will.

#23 ·
Just don't buy Soy wax. That shit is hard to scrape and doesn't last at all.

I just changed to Bluebird all-temp and I'm 100% satisfied with it. I've ridden this wax on man-made crap and ice twice and have only had to do a touch up rub on waxing on some of the edges. It's still rideable right now.

I hear good things about Hertel. That will be my next purchase. Although one common complaint about Hotsauce is that it's not dense. Meaning a big block doesn't last as long as you would think.

#25 ·
i order a 1/4 lbs. brick of all-temp shop wax every couple of seasons. usually OBJ or Bluebird. i normally do my gf's and our friend's boards too. basement, boombox, beer and boards- good therapy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.