Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Wrist guards :)

9K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  otisdelarosa 
#1 ·
I have to say till this day i still wear them just for the fact for protection and they also keep my hands warm :). Had some bozo cracking jokes about them at the top of a park run, only for him to eat it off the first jump and break both wrists, lets just say i suggested he should use some next time :)

#2 ·
Hard to laugh at an idot like that in that circumstance, but if you did I can't blame you.
You can't even see my guards under my gloves, not a biggy but how did he know you had them, and why did he even care...
Some people are just tools

#3 ·
karma is a biaaaach.

why do people care so much about other people on the mountain, I don't even have enough time to think about anything else than my next turn, and who gives a shit what you're wearing. go naked for all I care…

#5 ·
I wear mine proudly. Have yet to run across any tools like that in my very short riding time. Maybe because I'm a dad, who knows. All the people I have met have been decent and often comment how cool it is I ride with my kids. Not that I have Azzpadz, helmet and wrist guards on.

The guy really crashed and broke both wrists after making fun of you, your not pulling our leg??? Like said before, Karma...

#8 ·
My second time EVER snowboarding, I was even in a lesson, I broke my wrist. Both my radius and ulnar styloid snapped. I recall saying that morning that I wasn't going to take my wrist guards because I didn't like fighting with them to get my gloves on over it... I will always and forever wear wrist guards. Asking your then new boyfriend to help you shave because you are in a cast up to your shoulder is motivation enough...

Here's pictures for emphasis! :)

Wrists aren't supposed to look like this, in case you weren't sure:

Not sure why I'm smiling, as Breckenridge doesn't offer any kind of pain management...but look at those sausage fingers!

#13 ·
My second time EVER snowboarding, I was even in a lesson, I broke my wrist. Both my radius and ulnar styloid snapped. I recall saying that morning that I wasn't going to take my wrist guards because I didn't like fighting with them to get my gloves on over it... I will always and forever wear wrist guards. Asking your then new boyfriend to help you shave because you are in a cast up to your shoulder is motivation enough...

was ur cast really up to ur shoulder?! i probably fractured my wrist last weekend.

this is the soft cast they put me in until i get another X-ray

#10 ·
Right? And you're welcome! :D

I would much rather the break to be higher up. The wrist is a nasty place to break, and I can no longer supinate the full range of motion, so even minor things, like holding my baby, can tweak it just enough to make it swell for a few days...the original injury was 6 years ago...

#14 ·
Yep, up to my freaking shoulder. At the Breck ER, they put it up to my elbow, then the bone doc put a cast OVER THAT ONE up to my shoulder. His reasoning was that if you can move your elbow, your wrist inherently moves too, and it was a closed redux, so movement would have been bad...he put the damn thing over the first cast to not risk damaging anything during the removal. All in all it felt like it weighed 90 pounds!

Good luck at the doctor! Hope you heal fast!

#16 ·
My wife broke her radius last year on 1-30-11...this was her first time on a snowboard, and it was at the bottom of the hill near the lift line. Because of this we both wear wrist guards now. This year she broke it again NYE weekend, while wearing a wrist guard. I didn't care for the ones we bought at the time, because I felt they allowed for too much movement. The Level gloves with the integrated guards seem to look like the best option. So we will be getting them before our next time out. The bottom line is regardless of what protective equipment you decide to wear, you still need to know how to fall.

#20 ·
Agreed.

I have never worn wrist guards but I do wrap one of my wrists (the right) with one of those soft sport brace wraps. Got it for when my wrist was tweaked from work (I use my hands a lot) and I wanted to support it while riding. I liked the support so much that I continue to use it. Idk that it offers much protection, but it is supportive. I've been meaning to get another for my left wrist.

#21 ·
I agree that learning how to fall properly is key, but I still wear wrist guards for those "just in case moments". I'd really recommend buying legitimate snowboarding wrist guards. They usually have some give to ,them(both Burton and Level gloves have very good wrist guards built in to them), as opposed to the hard plastic snowboarding wrist guards, which could probably cause some weird arm breaks if you fell hard on them. I didn't wear wrist guards for my first 5 or so years of snowboarding, then one year I caught my edge going off of a kicker and had to choose between my neck and my wrists. Well my natural instincts kicked in and and I chose to put my hands down, sprained one wrist, and broke the other in a very strange way requiring a surgery and a screw to be put in. 5 years of falling on my ass the correct way(fists clenched, hands up and in front of me), and I STILL managed to break my wrist snowboarding :p. I decided that I was going to use wrist guards just in case, and haven't looked back since.

#31 ·
I don't think anyone would disagree with you that it shouldn't happen, but it does. When I broke mine, it was a slushy day and a caught a nasty edge. Yep, that's all I remember. When I came back into consciousness 30 seconds later I was on my face with a broken wrist. There was no lucid moment to remind myself to fall properly or make a fist...

#34 ·
Yep, and usually the harder you fall too. I'm retarded for NOT wearing wrist guards, considering I broke mine about 15 years ago in Quebec. When I got my girlfriend into the sport two years ago they were the first things I suggested she buy. Can't take my own advice = break my wrist(s) again someday...

#35 ·
hey just looking at the wrist guard thing.
i broke my wrist a couple of seasons ago. wearing wrist guards that were supposedly the best thing to wear.
I know a dude in the emergency room said that if your going to fall hard enough to snap a bone its gonna break regardless. the irony is that i wasnt wearing a guard on my other hand cause i couldnt be bothered getting it under the glove that morning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.