Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Winterpark back/side country suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

I don't think any of the sidecountry runs at Winterpark are going to be worth doing. They just go too low down the mountain and with the super faceted sugar snow we have, they are not going to be any fun anyway.

Second thing is that the snow pack sucks so bad, everything is hair trigger. A skier was just killed at Winterpark park in Topher's trees. Yep, in the trees, in an area that I normally would not equate with avalanche danger.

You do drive over Berthoud Pass on the way to Winterpark. In fact you can see the Panaromic lift at Winterpark from various spots on the pass. So it's close by to Winterpark. It is also a world class backcountry riding area. Normally lots to do there at this time of year, but again, we are having a very dangerous year with a thin snow pack. I managed to get buried to my knees in a spot that in most seasons is not even a worry. So yeah it's tricky.

All that said, I'll probably be splitboarding on the pass this Saturday or Sunday. I will be at SIA on Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. I also may take Monday off to go ride the pass. After that, the next time would be the following weekend at the end of your trip.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote