Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - is there a secret to riding with Flatkick?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
phony_stark
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
yeah, i'm used to trying to initiate the turns at the contact points. Why is it different on flat camber? when I got the Gnu with Revers camber, turn initiation was the same. from what it sounds like you guys are describing, i would have to steer from the middle as well since the main contact is in the middle.

Also, could you guys talk more about what you mean when you say ride it like a skateboard? Its not really translating that well for me. I haven't really ridden a skateboard that much in 20 years (and that was a surprising revelation just now :| ). I have ridden a longboard a couple times in the past few years, but nothing that really stood out as far as technique.

That's exactly it.

On a skateboard your center of gravity is in the middle and you're initiating turns from underfoot. Since the contact points at the ends are raised up, your main contact points are the flat part of the board which are also underfoot. Someone smarter will probably have some tech explanation about something I missed/kinda got wrong, but you have the right idea.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote