Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Working in Vail Question

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lockie 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm from Australia and plan to do a a season or a little less at vail when i finish school. Probably/preferably a waiter or something like that, i was just going through the jobs available and noticed that most jobs have really poor hourly rate ($5) but say plus tips. How much could i expect to make an hour including tips?

#2 · (Edited)
Not to answer the whole question specifically, not a Vail guy or anything, but the reason for those hourly wages is becuz waiters in most states get paid significantly below minimum wage (by $3-5/hr), and generally get paychecks for -$0-.

The money you make as a waiter in vail is going to go across a huge range of restaurants, price points, whether you work at night, etc. You'll need every advantage.

#3 ·
$5 an hour with tips is actually pretty good for Colorado. I believe this state still allows business to pay half of minimum wage to tipped employees. I think the definition of tipped is that they make more than 50% of their income or something like that.

Obviously, some places you could work in Vail would bring home handsome amounts of money. Other places, not so much.

The ideal spot to be a tipped employee at would be a high end restaurant that has good traffic flow most of the week.

#4 ·
A conservative amount you could make at a midline restaurant is around $300/shift. In high end restaurants on the busy weeks you could clear $1000/shift. The hourly is a nominal amount from $2-5/hour. Expect to be a "back waiter" unless you have a shitload of experience and know someone. If you can learn Spanish between now and then it would benefit you greatly.

#7 ·
A bit to think about!
I was hoping to get on snow accomodation so I can get max ride time, any suggestions on what to do?
Liftie? Would that allow a lot of ride time? Don't really care about making a profit for the season, but not losing money would be nice :)

#8 ·
Try to get a job with the park crew, those guys ride all day. On mountain Guest relations ride all day too just so they can do polls on the lifts. In general though the resort jobs suck for ride time, the housing in vail is pretty sweet though.... I'd rather work evenings and rent a place in town.....

B-team/yellow jackets is a decent gig too. They ride all day as a backup team to the ski patrol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.