Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Season 2 Questions, Tips & Critiques
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombaco
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Season 2 Questions, Tips & Critiques

A little background: As stated, this is my 2nd season boarding, and I'm goofy footed. I started skiing in the late 80s and continued thru the early 00s, but didn't get back on the mountain til last year and ditched the skis. Also I've skated for 25+ years and considering I only went 8 days last year, I'd say I made some pretty good progress (linking turns day 1, and cruising blues easily and some blacks by day 8). I want to keep progressing this season and spent 9 days over the holidays in Mammoth working on a lot things. I'm heading back there this weekend and am looking for some advice to keep improving my riding. I was hoping to have video from my buddy from my trip over the holidays but it's not gonna happen yet. I spend the majority of my time freeriding, and very little in the park. Probably a 90/10 split, and the only thing I have been doing in the park is jumps. No jibbing (at least not yet). Last year I really enjoyed riding trees and powder, and powder and trees, but no luck with that during trip 1 of this year. I know difficulty in colors can vary resort to resort, but at Mammoth I can bomb any blue, and can ride the blacks fairly well- still speed checking every few turns as I get more used to going faster. I have a personal goal to get 25+ days on the hill this year, and dramatically improve along the way. Now to some ?s

Carving / Dynamic Turns:
I spent a lot of time working on this, trying to remember everything the vids from snowolf, SA, and snowprofessor said. I tried to keep my range of motion in the 3-8 range, but it's hard to tell for sure without going to the videotape. I seemed to have toeside carves going fairly well. I could see that I had a nice thin 'c' shaped line as I looked at my tracks. But heelside- a different story, every single turn was a wider path, more of a skid- what can I do to improve this? It feels like my shoulders are lined up with the board properly, I'm bending my knees and keeping loose (at least it feels like it). I also have a hard time on my heelside when trying ride flat (as close to flat as I can- slight on edge)- my back foot tends to skew out from behind my front foot (back toes out farther than front toes if this makes sense). Are these two problems related?

I also noticed, while looking at my lines, that I had little to no track in the transition between heel and toe, and later realized while riding I kinda do a very small hop transition between edges. Is this the down-weighting / un-weighting I've been reading about? And also, I seen mention of fore and aft movements for carving turns. Can someone explain in a little more detail what is meant by this?

I get a sense that the up / down motion for dynamic turns is much like pumping a half pipe on a skate, but instead of using to transitions to gather speed on a pipe, you're using the carves to gather speed? Is this a proper analogy?

Jumps:
So I attempted and landed my first jumps of any kind over the holidays, and was pretty stoked to pull some off. I concentrated on mainly straight airs off park jumps (as very few side hits existed at the time). Getting used to popping off the lip was a lot of fun, and then I stepped it up by going switch... and landing it first try and the only landing switch. Pumped to say the least. I also attempted a few 1s but only landing two (1 FS and 1 BS). This was the last 3 days of my trip and my legs were pretty beat by then and I just didn't have the energy fully commit to it. Enter painful landings... haha. Anyway, I wanted to know when a good time is to start attempting grabs? Should I master 1s first? Get better at popping higher first?

I saw in another thread about flicking the hips for 1s more so then a wind up. I'll be trying this out soon. Makes a lot of sense.

Switch:
So for 3 days a friend that is regular footed started her first time snowboarding. She took lessons the first day, and my friends and I took turns helping her learn the next 2. Bonus for me being goofy is that it forced me to learn switch. By the end of her 3rd day, I could link my switch turns down the Schoolyard bunny slope, but definitely took some shots on the tailbone trying to learn (I always fall back). My problem is I seem to get tunnel vision riding switch, looking only at my nose, or legs, or one turn ahead. Then BAM! Edge caught and I'm flying. Is this normal? I guessing my vision will open up more with more time spent?

Thanks for reading all the gibberish above if you made it this far. Any advice is welcome, and I'll get some vids up as soon as I can. Thanks!!
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote