Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Camelback Questions

5K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  566487 
#1 ·
I am going to camelback tomorrow and was wondering how the forecast is and also what the easiest trail is there for a newbie. I want a trail that is not steep at all...scares the crap out of me...

#8 ·
If you're a new beginner, Coolmoor is the area with the carpet.

If you're at beginner level, progress in this order Sunbowl, Laurel Glade, Meadows.

Don't spend too much time on Coolmoor or Sunbowl because they are very short "trails". You'll get more time practicing on Laurel.

If you want to go to the summit, take Birches down and it connects to Meadows which you should already have practiced on so no problem.

Have fun.

#9 ·
Once I get better at linking my turns I am going from laurel glade to meadows. I didn't go to meadows on my last trip but I did learn how to stop and turn and now I just need to learn to link them and I will head onto Meadows. My instructor thinks I am already ready to get on meadows but I would rather be confident before trying it. Any tips on linking turns?

#10 ·
Went here tonight. It was a little icy in the middle of some runs but I kept to the sides and didn't have any problems. The mountain was in pretty good shape for the type of weather we had this week. Overall a fun night, definitely getting a lot better my last 2 times out.

I must have dropped my hat which had my gloves in goggles when I was getting in my car. :(
Hopefully one of the workers found it and picked it up. :dunno:

#11 · (Edited)
seriously? I had one of the worst snowboarding experiences ever. I was going to write a separate thread and bitch and rant and whine about camelback, but I'll just put it here.

first the conditions, well I guess I can't really blame the mountain for the ice bowl with sandsnow on the sides, my gf is a beginner and this was her first time being out on conditions like these and...well it felt like this was a high school field trip. I am usually the first one to defend snowboarders, but last night I uttered "fuck, now I know why people hate snowboarders" a couple of times .

let me share with you the ego driven cock measuring spectacle that goes on, on this herpes infested mountain.

my gf and I are fairly laid back people, we don't start trouble, we ride, we laugh and we make friends with anyone, even people who run into us (by accident). last night, my gf was having a pretty rough time handling the ice considering it was her first time out in these conditions. We stuck to NOVICE trails ONLY, I emphasize that because apparently "novice" doesn't mean shit to anyone anymore. As my gf is trying to navigate around the countless of "cliques" sitting around in the middle of the trail, one dude decides to throw a snowball at her...hey I am all for fun and games, but if you see that a GIRL is already frustrated and having a hard time, I don't really think she is in the mood to have an impromptu snowball fight with you and your highschool class. The snowball hit my gf, she lost concentration, slipped on the ice, caught her toe edge and face planted into the snow complete with a scorpion. Obviously this was very funny..mission accomplished. While sitting on the ice and counting her teeth, what seemed like a full blown high school stampede went flying by her at 20mph over the speed limit of a bunny hill. I am not really sure if this is a new trend in snowboarding, but I am definitely a fan of whizzing by people dangerously close while they are sitting down, seems like this should be a new sport all together considering how many people excel at this.

further down the trail, completely irritated at this point, a what seemed to me a guerrilla fighter jumped out of nowhere and literally slammed into my gf, his attack clearly disoriented him as well as he used my gf as a balancing pole to gain leverage so he can ride away cleanly in style. is this considered a "grope and run" should I have filed an investigation with the mountain ski patrol (which btw was nowhere to be found). Considering this guy was wearing camouflage he disappeared into the trees or the countless of other people wearing camouflage. Now I finally understand the point of "camouflage", this is so I can't pick you out of the herd or maybe these guys are just preparing to invade France through the slopes of Graian Alps.

this forced us to go on what probably was the slowest lift on the mountain (L-6 Double..for those who know) in an attempt to escape the crowd. I was literally afraid that the next time I go up there I will be attacked by 5 bananas in my anus, from dudes wearing bright yellow jackets and lime green pants. This trail (the rightmost "novice" trail there is) was much much calmer, until of course we got to that all important "SLOW SKI ZONE"..you know the one that's not just GREEN but actually GREEN WITH STRIPES and has an actual sign to "SLOW DOWN", this is of course just snowboard code for "go as fast as you can". There should have been speed traps and state troopers stationed behind every tree, that would make the state some money. Let me tell you, these guys were SHREDDING ASS...on a bunny slope. Must feel so good about your shredding skills, that double diamonds just don't do it for you anymore. Gotta get on that bunny slope and show all those ladies trying to learn how its really done. Since we all know snowboarding rhymes with showboating. It's practically in the same family.

On a serious note, I love speed and I love going fast, if this were happening on blacks or blues I wouldn't be so irritated, HELL even if it were sometimes happening on the green. There will always be "those guys", but on a beginner area? I am sorry, but grow the fuck up. I don't care that you can rip the bunny slope and quite frankly nobody else cares. You have the whole fucking mountain to do your shit and probably a lot more impressionable people on those trails anyway. This sort of attitude just promotes other people to "get even" and then reasonable people who just come to enjoy themselves on the mountain get caught in the middle and it's completely unacceptable, and where the fuck is the ski patrol? At least try to keep the beginners area safe, at least give it a shot and see what happens...

I am staying out of camelback mountain and if you're above the age of 17 you probably would want to as well (although there were some kids that looked to be older than 18 and were still being douchebags).

P.S.: just wanted to mention, that in the end we did have fun. Once the sun set and there were less people we managed to have a lot of fun. Remember its all about riding and don't let any mountain etiquette or lack there of ruin it for you. Make the best of everything and have fun.

#12 ·
^^ Which is why I don't go on weekend days. And if I do, it's after 3pm.

The mountain is way too small for the weekend traffic it draws. Shitty conditions this season only make it worse.

Sorry to hear your gf had a bad time. Try going during the week if you can. She might have a better time.

#13 ·
Actually, my gf had an amazing time. Like I said, we are laid back people and we laughed at it, rather than get angry or completely irritated. I am not going to lie but I was pretty irritated and she just told me to let it go and have fun.

So at the end we did have fun and she is still talking to me about her "air time". Unfortunately we both work full time and can't make it out on a weekday, we did go after 3pm last night and it was still pretty crowded. Also those express lifts are like roller coasters.

Of course I give props to all the snowboarder dudes that are just riding and chilling, I have a lot more respect for a relaxed rider who is just enjoying himself.

#14 ·
When the "mountain" is basically an 80 mile straight shot from NYC and even closer to the throngs who live in the most densely populated state in the union it is going to be a proverbial schit show, especially the weekend before the Superbowl which traditionally gets a ton of traffic.

As an old dude (33 now) I follow a game plan with most of the "local" hills (from Camelback to Hunter)... sneak in a week day when work allows for it (even if its only a few hours) and when it doesn't, get there early enough to be on the mountain before most are even there/headed there. Lap as much as I can before 11, break for an early quick lunch and get back out while most are heading in. Once the crowd starts to get back out from lunch I will squeeze in a few more laps and then around 2 I'm usually ready to grab a beer and head home. I have been able to get in 20+ runs using that approach, even on MLK day at Camelback.

Saturday I had a skier buddy up from Philly who wanted to get on the snow ahead of a trip west we have coming up in Marc... we hit up Mt Creek assuming it would be a circus. We were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as crowded as I anticipated and enjoyed a "spring" day (with less snow). We even went back out after our 2pm beer break for a few runs as it was kind of fun.

The other key to these hills is staying on our "blacks" if you are capable enough to enjoy riding them... the herd is really thinned on those runs. You will very often be the only one on a trail when other parts of the mountain looks like a Tokyo subway station at rush hour.

#15 ·
yep, you're absolutely right about the "blacks", unfortunately I couldn't go on them since my gf is a beginner and I don't mind hanging around with her, just wish people were more considerate, but I understand this is how it is in the tri-state area and I am not "complaining" per-se, just wanted to get my irritation out, like i said in the end we did have fun, once you block everything out.

#20 ·
Windham is probably a better alternative to Hunter but still gets a good crowd. Full disclaimer.. been about 4 years since I have ridden there, but I used to go often as a friend had a family house slopeside. I just always found it a bit boring of a mountain.

Elk is an option.. not sure where you are coming from, but its basically an hour north/northwest of Camelback. Nice little mountain, different vibe versus the others in the area.

#19 ·
Nice. I was hoping to head out to Mountain Creek because their park is the ish and maybe I'll take a run out during Superbowl Sunday. Don't care to see the Manning/Brady duel anyway and I think the Giants will run all over the Pats D so be a good time to get some short life lines (hopefully).

#28 ·
I have a season pass at camelsack but rarely use it. Their parks are basically non-existant this year, despite having the snow for it. Freaking sno mountain has a better park and they are barely staying afloat financially and are pretty bare on snow.

If anyone wants to meet up for a few at camelsack, ill head over!

#29 ·
At some point before the season ends, I might try to get a casual meet thrown together. I'll post it as a separate thread so if it works out and if anyone is interested, look for it here in the Regional.

Or if someone wants to get something together sooner, set it up and I'll try to be there :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.