Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Season 2 Questions, Tips & Critiques
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
gjsnowboarder
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombaco View Post
Thanks for the advice and input everyone. Looks like a nice homework list to work on this weekend .

I'll have to be more conscious of my shoulder alignment heelside. It may be a combo not being inline over my board and hunching over in the shoulders. I know I catch myself in bad posture (hunching over in my shoulders) at work and not sitting with a straight back. It could be I'm unknowingly doing that while riding too, and I've got a feeling I'm probably opening my shoulder up past my nose- this opening referring to actual twist in my spine. I'm riding at +15/-12 so I know I shouldn't be opening too much, but probably why I'm not getting the thinner carve lines heelside. I'll definitely give the fore / aft movements a go and try the different unweighting techniques

gjsnowboarder- thanks for your detailed instructions. Maybe a stupid question, but what is "CM" in your explainations? Centered mass? I get the gist of what you said, but unsure of this term. And thanks for the switch diagram, makes a lot of sense.
Yep CM = Center of Mass. basically it is in relation to the pull of gravity or centripetal force takes you. i.e. your core on a person typically. Silly me not writing out what an acronym means. it can move vertically or horizontally.

As for the hunched back where the bend might be the worse. Typically its at the waist/hip level not necessarily at the shoulder level that causes issues. Your back is supposed to have a natural curvature. When you try to correct this it is possible to over straighten or hold your back to tight. In a heel side turn this could cause you to full body lean up the mountain and use your arms as a counter balance( arms come out voer your toeside to counter balance the leaning or departure of the CM from the heelside to over the snow). The other misalignement in the other direction is called breaking at the waist. This is represented by the back coming over the toeside of the board but the butt hanging out past the heelside edge. Due to the butt shifting the lower half weight of the person over the snow and counter movement of the upper body weight is then need to keep the CM over the heel edge. Both of these moves can be cause improper alignment and ineffective/ineffecient riding.

Using your hips for alignment and focusing on them might be the real fix. Free up the hips by scooping the butt underneath the upper body can be a very usefull movement. On heelside think of pinching your butt cheeks together lightly. On toeside turns think of pressing your hips forward. a way to practive this is to grab an exercise ball and back up to a wall. Place the ball into the small of the back, now do squats, and feel your back form to the curvature of the ball. Notice as you drop down how your knees may flare out over the pinky toes to be able to get lower. Remember to keep your weight on you heels. Now use that movement and alignment in your heelside turns on a snowboard. For the toesides, use the ball again. turn around to face the wall with the ball inbetween. press your hips forward into the ball and try moving up and down this time focusing keeping your hips foward. Remember the ankles will come into play here and you will want to keep your weight on your toes to mimic riding your toeside. If there is a mirror handy you will be able to critque yourself and feel the movements necessary to create any weird back alignment you might experience.

Hope this wasn't to wordy, seems I have typeria tonight.

Last edited by gjsnowboarder; 01-27-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: some misspelling.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote