Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Stance Width Question

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bones 
#1 ·
Hey all

I'm tall (6'2") with reasonably long legs (36 inseam) and I freeride only.

I've always had a problem with getting lower on my board, particularly on heel edge. I've maxed out the width between my bindings and I have them set at 15/-15. What I find is that there is a point where I can't move my lower leg anymore. My shin is pressing hard against the boot, the binding strap is holding everything back, etc.

Last night, my instructor suggested that I narrow the stance width to do 2 things: a) get a bigger range of motion (which makes sense) and b) to be able to get lower (which seems counter-intuitive)

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Sounds reasonable, I'd also change my rear binding from equal duck to like -8. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and pretty stout legs/calves so I'm limited a bit in movement too. I used to ride wider stance and equal duck, I moved them in a hole each front and back plus changing my hind foot stance and it helped

#3 ·
If you're to wide out, then yes, you will not have as much range of motion. Try it. Stand on the carpet with your legs way out wide and try to do a squat, then bring them in a little and try it again. I can gurantee with them being a little closer, you can squat way lower. The only way I max out the inserts on a board is if I'm already riding a board that is a little small for me. Otherwise I find the default to ususally be just fine. Somewhere around 22"-23". Oh, and I'm 6'3" with a 35 inseam so I'm right about your size.

#5 ·
It's all about finding a personal sweet spot, I recently widened my stance a bit and gained a lot of stability as far as landing jumps and choppy terrain goes. A lot of people will also go way to wide though, which can severely cripple your range of movement.

#6 ·
One thing you will notice when you go too wide is turn initiation especially for toe side starts to feel awkward and hesitant. I feel like my rear foot "hangs" when initiating the turn.
I've ducked out as far as my knees will let me, 15/-15 feels good.

I really noticed the hesitation in toe-side turn initiation in the deep powder last week. And then I flew back east and rode that night after an all-day freezing rain. Talk about culture shock! And that's when I felt trapped and unable to get lower over my edge.

I've narrowed my stance by an inch and I'll be riding later in the week. Really hoping I'll notice the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.