Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - To wear or not to wear a Helm?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
sketcharoo

I've been on 5 trips to CO to board and next week I'll be making my 6th trip. I've never worn a helmet before and on at least 2 different occasions in the past I've hit a nasty patch of ice and wiped out and hit my head real good. I've also been clobbered by an idiot or 2 on the mountain.. I'm 100% guilty of being that person who thought people would make fun of me for wearing a helmet, or that it would look "stupid". Let's get realistic, you know what would look more stupid?? You being paralyzed or in a vegetable state and pissing/shitting yourself all day and being incapable of living your life without 24/7 assistance. I come from a pre-med background and I have a pretty in-depth understanding of the brain and I can't believe how ignorant I was to never wear a helmet on my previous trips. I'm investing in a helmet today and I'll have it on every time I hit the slopes next week.

"Many organs and tissues in the body can recover after injury without intervention. Unfortunately, some cells of the central nervous system are so specialized that they cannot divide and create new cells. As a result, recovery from a brain or spinal cord injury is much more difficult."