Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #1679 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Default Live from Crystal!

Hey Fella's,

Well, NOW I know EXACTLY what guy's r talking about when referring to "Board Suck"!!! ...and Boy, does it EVER!!!!!

Mon. night, Tues. Morning, snow was nice! Not great, not perfect, but nice. Cold, Dry, nice layer of soft after being chopped all day. Yesterday sometime between takin' a lunch break 11:30 am, and hitting it again @ 1. Conditions turned to TOTAL SHIT!!! Temps hit 48+ yesterday.

First run after lunch, I head to the north face, start down and as soon as I come off an edge & flatten out the board to get some speed, I almost get pitched forward onto my face as the board literally sticks to the snow!! The rest of the afternoon, every run I did felt like someone was trying to push me off the board from the shoulders cuz the board kept slowing down . ( Saw a guy last week @ PK who was "Jumping" (popping?) from heel to toe edge & back to turn. All without transitioning thru the flat of the board to accomplish this. Now I can see why that would b good to learn to do!!! )

Finally after the sun went down and the "Chop" got cold enough that it didn't get packed smooth from riding over it, things got reasonably fast again!! I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that even though for me, all that "Unpredictable" snow & strange board reactions, I didn't fall from running into it. Although I could never really tell what I would run into, (..little before 6, I hit a few spots that switched from slow & sticky to FAST, cuz it had been shaded longer.) I tried to stay loose and not stiffen too much when things surprised me and keep some balance!)

BTW, I ache all over!!! . 11 1/2 - 12 hours actually riding in a day & half!!! Only 5 more to go!!! Thank GOD for Whirlpool tubs!!!

On my way to Boyne this afternoon. Will B there till Sunday Noon, If anyones heading up this weekend. Gonna hit Highlands & maybe Nub's while I'm there!

More later!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote