Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Pennsylvania Thread 2011/2012

7K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  East§ide 
#1 ·
Official 2011/2012 Pennsylvania thread

FIRST TRACKS!
First real snow of the season here in PA!
Gonna go shred a few inches of powder.

#7 ·
Is the season over for PA? 58* yesterday, currently 51*, high tomorrow is supposed to be 43* and the overnight low is only 32*, no snow making weather in the 5 day forecast and every day in the 10 day the forecast high is above freezing. Tussey Mountian is toast for sure...I'm 20 door to lift, have season passes and have only been out about 8 times. Not one single day with good conditions...even when it did snow.

This season has SUCKED!

#10 ·
Tussey was looking pretty bad when I went to work there yesterday. The mountain is closed today. Not sure how much longer they are going to be able to be open.

Figures we would have a shitty winter when I got a whole new setup and was the most excited I've ever been for it.

#9 ·
Does any one have any info about how Elk Mountain is right now? seems cold there and good snow making, also all there trails are open with around a 20" base. Im thinking about going there this weekend just wanted to see if anyone has been there in the past two weeks or so.

#11 ·
Elk being "north" might be in better shape vs the NoNos locales to the south.. plus usually less people. Its a little closer to me v Hunter which I will often chose to head to it if I am extending beyond the mountains I can get to in an hour, but whenever I go I always like the place.

#18 ·
Well amazingly yesterday morning I woke up and there was this weird white stuff on my deck.. I think it was snow but I have seen the real stuff around these parts lately so who knows.

Looks like the Poconos and Mt.Creek should have a good snowmaknig weekend with the potential for a few inches of real stuff tonight/tomorrow. Not a ton, but hopefully they are blowing as well. I can't get out till Sunday, but thinking about trekking up to Elk which I am hoping won't be as crowded and which has had better snowmaking conditions as of late... otherwise I will hit Camelback and I will be at Mt Creek Tuesday so will report back.

Has anyone been to Elk recently?

#24 ·
Just got home from ice boarding at Jack Frost, didn't even stay to see Big Boulder. Won't be going back there any time in the foreseeable future. They'd have to get some serious inches of pow to be worth it. I guess riding3 600 feet of vertical after being at Killington does it in for me, as well. Pitiful.

#26 ·
Went to Blue Mountain last night. Conditions were still pretty good when I got there at 4:00 but as expected they iced up quickly especially with all the wind. I still had a blast, ventured into the park for the first time, hit some boxes and did my first grab :)

I'm off of work this Friday, thinking about going to Elk for the first time. Hopefully we get some more snow!

#28 ·
Hes right, I was at Snowshoe all weekend. Pulled in Friday and it started to snow just after we picked up the room key and it was still snowing when we left this morning. Couldnt have picked a better weekend to head up there as this winter has been totally f'd. Almost the entire mountain was open and covered with this dry fluffy snow. My friends got a rough intro to "no friends on powder days" as I threatend to leave them if they didnt get up early to ride the freshies sat morn. Everyone made it up and out before the rope dropped. Sad thing is a friend dropped out at the last min and shes at Blue here in PA tonight. I wouldnt trade 5 free icy nights at Blue for what we got this weekend. Even found a doobie in a drawer from a previous guest!!

#29 ·
camel back was pretty awesome today. it was ok in the morning but thanks to the heavy snow coming down around noon and the snow makers on top of that the afternoon was the best part of day. i didn't wanna leave but my friend has work at 4am so we left around 6. by far the best conditions this winter

#31 ·
I was at elk mountain on Saturday and have no complaints. The snow was good and all the trails were open. They even had snow in the woods between the trails since we got a few random showers this past weekend. Since its was a Saturday with snow in the forecast there were a lot of people there but i never feel crowded or had to wait more then five minutes if at all in any lift line. I did not rider in the park at all but it looked small, don't think there are known for there freestyle terrain here any ways. We had a day pass that ended at 4:30 and by 4 you really started to see the ice forming from all the people riding it all day. I guess considering that this is a horrible year for riding, I would give this a 9 out of 10 for Pennsylvania.

#34 ·
Sigh. I really hate winters in PA some years. So, its lookin like this storm will roll by to the south and not turn up and ride the coast. This means places south of the PA turnpike will get snow (Snowshoe, Whitetail, Seven Springs, etc) while places in the Northeast (Blue Mtn, Camelback, Elk, etc) will get a few inches at most. I am by no means an expert on this so if someone has a different opinion Id be happy to hear it.
On top of the shitty snow forecast (for me anyways) if it does roll in it will be during the holiday weekend so expect to pay inflated prices for lift tickets. Is it a little extreme if I pray for a major volcanic eruption to throw some dust into the atmosphere lowering global temps by just a little for a couple of years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.