Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Breckenridge

15K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  nutmegchoi 
G
#1 ·
Going to be in breck for a week in January. What's a good watering hole? Where do the young folks go to get loose

G
#7 ·
I agree, this bar sucked. There are a lot of little bars like this one. I was there for a week last Jan, cant even remember what bars I went to but there are PLENTY if you just take a walk around.
Everything is really close so a good Pub Crawl to check out lots of random ones is what we did. There were a lot of places that have happy hour martinis etc so you can hit them up in good time for each so you get like 3 hours in a row of happy hour bars. Just ask someone at your resort or the first bar you go to just ask the bartender.

#8 ·
Let's bring this dead thread back to life folks!

Heading to Breck in about a week for the first time. We plan on drinking heavily while we're there, so we're looking to find some peeps with the same mission. We are staying at the south end of Ridge Street, so hopefully we're close to some action. Any places we gotta see?

#9 ·
Hope you understand drinking at 10k isn't exactly going to be good for your health. Ridge street is literally one block off main and being on the south end you are probably right behind Cecelias and Liquid Lounge which means you're more than a close stumble from where everyone ends up in town. Word of advice we always find a body or two in the snow banks don't die getting sick of seeing the poor plow guy finding a corpse in the snow bank.

#12 ·
Yep know your kind going to see you limping to the mountain at noon talking about the night before. Cool you lived here before doesn't mean you lived in Breck otherwise you wouldn't be asking about night life.

Actually lots of recent studies have shown that there aren't any adverse health risks to drinking at high altitudes. It goes against common belief (generally that if you live at lower altitudes, your body will metabolize things more slowly at a higher altitude than your used to), but many studies have shown that high altitude drinking does not make you "more drunk" than drinking at or below sea level, and there aren't any more dangerous long term side effects of drinking at altitude than you would normally get drinking at sea level.

Now if you're suffering from altitude sickness already and you begin drinking heavily I'm sure that you will exacerbate the problem, but if you're feeling good alcohol won't hurt you anymore than it does normally :p
Studies also show I think you're a fucking idiot for posting about studies. You can find a study on anything in the world doesn't make it accurate. Dare you to come out here and drink like you would at sea level see how it effects. Oh wait that wouldn't be a study that would be a hands on approach and people that only go by studies never do anything hands on.

#11 ·
Actually lots of recent studies have shown that there aren't any adverse health risks to drinking at high altitudes. It goes against common belief (generally that if you live at lower altitudes, your body will metabolize things more slowly at a higher altitude than your used to), but many studies have shown that high altitude drinking does not make you "more drunk" than drinking at or below sea level, and there aren't any more dangerous long term side effects of drinking at altitude than you would normally get drinking at sea level.

Now if you're suffering from altitude sickness already and you begin drinking heavily I'm sure that you will exacerbate the problem, but if you're feeling good alcohol won't hurt you anymore than it does normally :p

#14 ·
We just came from Breck. About a 1/3 of us were hit with altitude sickness (including me) which means splitting headaches and weird body aches. Advil helped for a minute, then a small beer, then it would come back.

2/3 of us (18 total) drank no problem. They were pounding the beer/jameson/cordon bleu/wine. This was with a little acclimation. Denver Friday night, Breck Saturday, Drinking saturday night at the village/cabin. I don't give a shit what studies say, one beer even at Denver elevation was noticeably more potent. I'm taking a damn good buzz after one beer when I could probably do 2-3 to feel the same here at sea level.

But those other fools were pounding drinks and no complaints the next day on the slopes. They did get that full saturday to acclimate I guess.

#21 ·
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Bubba Gumps as a good place to eat. Really? Was that sarcasm?

That place has sucked every time I have ate there. The service is the worst and the food aint great. I have a friend that always wants to eat there. The next time we go to Breck I will put my foot down on that. There many restaurants better than that place.

I am not a Breckenridge expert but I will list bars I have liked.

The Brown
The Gold Pan, for historical reasons. Wild west oldest bar west of the Mississippi
Jake's Dive Bar (they allow dogs)
Mother Loaded Tavern
Ollies
Kenoshas
I like 320 South since I have seen a lot of good shows there.

I will recommend The Liquid Lounge if you want craziness. That place is trouble. Cecilias can eat it.

#22 ·
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Bubba Gumps as a good place to eat. Really? Was that sarcasm?

That place has sucked every time I have ate there. The service is the worst and the food aint great. I have a friend that always wants to eat there. The next time we go to Breck I will put my foot down on that. There many restaurants better than that place.

I am not a Breckenridge expert but I will list bars I have liked.

The Brown
The Gold Pan, for historical reasons. Wild west oldest bar west of the Mississippi
Jake's Dive Bar (they allow dogs)** rubbed my balls on dollar bills **
Mother Loaded Tavern
Ollies
Kenoshas
I like 320 South since I have seen a lot of good shows there.

I will recommend The Liquid Lounge if you want craziness. That place is trouble. Cecilias can eat it.
Bolded the agreed upon... Also enjoyed eating at windy city pizza, north side pizza, empire burger, le petit paris, and hitting up the eclectic ass absinth bar. The place we stayed was the river mountain lodge, and doesn't look like its of the same name anymore. It was dingy and looked like they were giving up on it.

We used up all but one of our full day passes before the end of the trip, and so we bought a half day, and went until last chair at breck, shuttled to keystone and rode all night in 2' of pow. ended up catching the actual last chair there too... definitely one of the best days i've had. it snowed hard from like 11 am until the next day, and we rode through almost all of it.

#23 ·
Despite having a pretty crazy palate and enjoying all kinds of food, I've just never been properly exposed to any cajun.

I really enjoyed the Lost Cajun in Frisco a few times this summer. They seem to be pretty legit, and while I would normally claim to know what good food is, I must admit that all 3 times I stopped there was after a 14'er hike.

Anybody else had it? Chicken and sausage and rice and beans were really good.

Good pizza and local beer at Jersey Boys in Dillon.

#31 ·
Cruisin' up there this weekend for some play time. Will definitely check out some of these spots for some good grubs and brewskis. If you spot me say hello! if I don't respond it's because my music is at inevitably-deafening volumes, so SAY HELLO!!

#33 ·
I had a good time at Jake's last time I was there even though some two-plankers were probably trying to hit on my wife (the girls ended up there about 2 and we met them there at 4ish). Even after we arrived, these dudes were still pretty chill, hung out for a few hours even bought us shots.

And yes there was a dog who very much appreciated the pizza crust we fed him from our table.

#40 ·
People always suffer at Breck. My body actually deals pretty good with Altitude.

Last year at Breck was the worst (I actually never had any issue in Utah and Jackson Hole). I just go to like 14 hour sleep (right after plain ride). Wake up next morning and good to go)

#41 ·
last spring, I had trouble skinning up to 14,000 feet when I had easily been getting up to 12,000 & even sometimes 13,000 feet throughout the course of the season with no issues.

If altitude troubles you, don't go to Loveland, A-Basin, or Silverton. Breck even has a hike to section above the Imperial lift that gets you up high enough to cause some people trouble, even though it's very short.

for ski areas that are arguably better than anything in Colorado and at lower altitudes: try Utah, Montana, California, British Columbia, or Alberta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.