Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Review: 2013 Never Summer Cobra (Leo)

42K views 82 replies 22 participants last post by  JHeagz 
#1 · (Edited)
Introduction
So... this is my second season riding Never Summer snowboards. I've been very happy with the Proto and Evo and I've been riding the ish out of them. I was obviously stoked to hear about a completely new NS board in the works. Initial email exchanges revealed a less than likable graphics. NS has since redesigned the graphics and while plenty are still indifferent, I dig it. Alright, enough small talk, let's get to it.

Setup
Board: 2013 Never Summer Cobra 158
Bindings: 2011 Rome 390 Boss L/XL
Boots: 2011 Burton Restricted Hail 9.5 US
Stance: +18/-12 Regular @ 23.5"

I am 5'9, 180lbs.

Flex
The Cobra is a hair past mid-flex and stiffer through the tips. Torsionally a bit stiffer as per my experience with the carbonium line.

Handling
Right off the bat I'm going to say the tail swings around super easy. It actually caught me off guard at first ride. The Cobra does in fact have a blunted spade tail. While not a tapered shape, the tail does taper off from the widest point more than the nose. It also has a later kick. All of this combined with the setback stance is what gives the tail its handling properties. In short, the Cobra is great for paint brushing turns.

My first day on the Cobra was on hardpack powder. The slopes got hit with about a foot over the prior two days so snow conditions on the day I rode were great. I easily hit 42mph on a blue run without even trying. The Cobra was plenty stable without feeling too dead. It's definitely not as lively as the Evo or Proto, but not as damp as the Heritage. The Cobra held and amazing edge and I only encountered a problem when doing a long, drawn out skidded turn at speed. I experienced chatter there.

I was able to take the Cobra through some MI glade riding with excellent snow conditions. The hill got about 8" of dry pow the night before and there were plenty of untracked pow stashes in the trees. I was initially on the Proto and swapped out for the Cobra. Let me tell you, the Cobra loves the pow. It was literally destroying everything in it's path. Even though the Cobra is stiffer than the Evo (my choice for these tree runs), I was able to turn on a dime because of the aforementioned shape. These conditions and terrain are where the Cobra shined for me. It kept planing on top of the snow even in the slower areas. The earlier rise in the nose also helped for riding over buried branches and whatnot. I would still choose the Evo for glades under normal conditions for some freestyle shenanigans though. However, if there's pow, I am grabbing the Cobra without hesitation.

I've also come across concern that this is a big mountain board and people have questioned whether or not it's worth having in a place like LP Michigan. I don't care what anyone says. The Cobra works really well on the groomers too. I did take it down moguls and although my mogul riding isn't the best, I was able to navigate the the tight lines. The Cobra has no problem handling groomers and you can get some scary speeds on this thing. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you have no business on a Cobra for a small East Coast hill. The Cobra is a great board to lay carves down on. Just tilt on an edge and put in work. Handled all the blacks I threw at it well including ones with mogul fields. Again, it's not as damp or beastly as the Heritage though.

Jibs/Playfulness
Not the Cobra's strong suit. I hit plenty of boxes and did a few tree jibs (even breaking one after landing ass first on it) and it wasn't as lively as I would like. Felt very minimal input from board to feet on jibs. Butters aren't the Cobra's strong suit, but doable.

Pop
Lots of it. In fact, I'm going to say the Cobra has more pop than the Proto in the tail. Just try an ollie while maching and see what I mean.

Conclusions
I definitely like this board. It's nice to know that I have a board to go to for powder days and future visits out west. The Cobra's shape definitely lends it unique handling characteristics compared to NS's other rides. Just be cautious with switch riding. I almost want to say that it's better to lean back a little during switch on this board. If you put pressure on the tail while switch, it feels washy.

I would not recommend this board for a beginner or even a new intermediate. Advanced intermediate and above all-mountain shredders are welcome. The Cobra can also handle a sprinkle of freestyle.

Let me know if you have any questions. As always, thanks for reading.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yea, I see the GI-Joe similarities. I grew up with GI-Joe figures and cartoons so I don't mind. The Lego thing I don't get whatsoever lol. Either way, I can totally see why some don't like the graphics just like with the proto. The important thing to find out is how this new shape for NS rides. I'm hoping the week of feb 5th gets dumped on up north like it has past few days. Then I also get to take this in powder though I'm sure Wolfie will definitely get some.

Oh well, I can always jib a few boxes on this thing haha.

#8 ·
A300

I'm not a camera guy so can't tell you what lens. .38m Macro?

My father in-law has the 5D MKII, but he's out of country right now. I would have borrowed that camera for sure. Maybe after I ride this thing I'll take some more pics with it if you want.

#19 ·
Finally got a day on this board yesterday. Went to a more legit LP Michigan mountain with it. I brought my Proto in case I didn't have a good time on this board. Needless to say, my Proto stayed in the car lol.

I'll post the review after a few more sessions on this ridiculous board.

#21 ·
After taking my Evo to Colorado over the weekend I realize, I need a more all mountain deck in my quiver (or as my only board). I need to try and hit some boxes soon to really decide, but realized, I like jumps! Small ones of course.

Can you hit some jumps and also try switch on the Cobra Leo? Small jumps are fine. I'm way too old to try and learn big jumps right now.

#22 ·
Yea, I normally stick to 15-20' jumps or smaller. Other than that, it's hips, transitions, gaps, rollers, etc...

I did ollie a few rollers at a good speed and was sent... the Cobra is really poppy. I will do more this Sunday with it. Hoping to find a box or two this time. So far, so good.

Oh, switch feels weird as expected. Setback, slimmer tail, more nose... feels like a directional board switch.

#23 · (Edited)
Haha, I would assume as much, as well.

I only need to ride switch enough to turn back around when I land goofy. Not trying to win style points here. Just enough to turn around to my normal stance :laugh:

There is this run at Breckenridge that starts directly underneath the top of the chair lift that is almost all rolling hills all the way down and I was trying to launch off of those, vs the park jumps where you just have to go fast these rollers did need me to pop off the top

#24 ·
So Leo, you've ridden the Lib T.Rice and the NS Cobra... I'm looking to replace my 157 Rice for next season (have to ride out this one) for my all mountain ride. I love the Rice except for two things... 1, I have size nine feet which is seriously on the verge of being too small to properly weight the edges, it's doable but I just have more fun transitioning edges on a narrower waisted board. 2, I don't ride a whole bunch of switch, like literally only do it landing 180's and if I absolutely have too to get out of a dicey situation... I have my Pow board covered with a 160 BTX Mullet and for goofing off a 154 TRS BTX (before C2). Next season I was looking at either the Cobra 155 or 158 or the Billy Goat 156 or 159. My stats are 5' 5" 160-165 size 9 aggresive rider, and I always ride with an Osprey Karve 16 pack.

What say you?

Thanks ;)

#25 ·
From what you are describing, the Cobra actually does sound like a great option for you. It's not nearly as stiff as the T.Rice. Since you don't ride switch a ton, a Twin isn't important to you so that's another plus.

I found a few pow stashes and the Cobra just planed right over it so you might actually have another pow board in this. I just like the way this board carves. Handles very nicely.

#29 ·
From the specs Vince gave, it has the Premier's spade tail, but is blunted. From eyeballing it, it does appear to be slightly more narrow. Could be due to the setback sidecut though.

As far as handling, you can whip the tail around much easier than say the Proto. I was riding it on Bosses and Hail boots and found it very responsive when whipping in and out of turns.

Wolfie obviously rode legit powder with it. I rode a few inches of neglected pow stashes in random areas and the Cobra was surfy. I wouldn't say this is a pow specific board, rather an all-mountain board that handles the pow very well. I'm hoping to be able to get out West next season with this thing and push it.

#33 ·
I'm seriously considering buying the Cobra next year at full retail price (which is over $609 CDN).

Please be thorough about the stability of the new rocker shape (especially compared to the RC, since I keep hearing about issues with the Proto be too squirelly).

#35 · (Edited)
Here's my review. Posted here and on the first page.

Introduction
So... this is my second season riding Never Summer snowboards. I've been very happy with the Proto and Evo and I've been riding the ish out of them. I was obviously stoked to hear about a completely new NS board in the works. Initial email exchanges revealed a less than likable graphics. NS has since redesigned the graphics and while plenty are still indifferent, I dig it. Alright, enough small talk, let's get to it.

Setup
Board: 2013 Never Summer Cobra 158
Bindings: 2011 Rome 390 Boss L/XL
Boots: 2011 Burton Restricted Hail 9.5 US
Stance: +18/-12 Regular @ 23.5"

I am 5'9, 180lbs.

Flex
The Cobra is a hair past mid-flex and stiffer through the tips. Torsionally a bit stiffer as per my experience with the carbonium line.

Handling
Right off the bat I'm going to say the tail swings around super easy. It actually caught me off guard at first ride. The Cobra does in fact have a blunted spade tail. While not a tapered shape, the tail does taper off from the widest point more than the nose. It also has a later kick. All of this combined with the setback stance is what gives the tail its handling properties. In short, the Cobra is great for paint brushing turns.

My first day on the Cobra was on hardpack powder. The slopes got hit with about a foot over the prior two days so snow conditions on the day I rode were great. I easily hit 42mph on a blue run without even trying. The Cobra was plenty stable without feeling too dead. It's definitely not as lively as the Evo or Proto, but not as damp as the Heritage. The Cobra held and amazing edge and I only encountered a problem when doing a long, drawn out skidded turn at speed. I experienced chatter there.

I was able to take the Cobra through some MI glade riding with excellent snow conditions. The hill got about 8" of dry pow the night before and there were plenty of untracked pow stashes in the trees. I was initially on the Proto and swapped out for the Cobra. Let me tell you, the Cobra loves the pow. It was literally destroying everything in it's path. Even though the Cobra is stiffer than the Evo (my choice for these tree runs), I was able to turn on a dime because of the aforementioned shape. These conditions and terrain are where the Cobra shined for me. It kept planing on top of the snow even in the slower areas. The earlier rise in the nose also helped for riding over buried branches and whatnot. I would still choose the Evo for glades under normal conditions for some freestyle shenanigans though. However, if there's pow, I am grabbing the Cobra without hesitation.

I've also come across concern that this is a big mountain board and people have questioned whether or not it's worth having in a place like LP Michigan. I don't care what anyone says. The Cobra works really well on the groomers too. I did take it down moguls and although my mogul riding isn't the best, I was able to navigate the the tight lines. The Cobra has no problem handling groomers and you can get some scary speeds on this thing. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you have no business on a Cobra for a small East Coast hill. The Cobra is a great board to lay carves down on. Just tilt on an edge and put in work. Handled all the blacks I threw at it well including ones with mogul fields. Again, it's not as damp or beastly as the Heritage though.

Jibs/Playfulness
Not the Cobra's strong suit. I hit plenty of boxes and did a few tree jibs (even breaking one after landing ass first on it) and it wasn't as lively as I would like. Felt very minimal input from board to feet on jibs. Butters aren't the Cobra's strong suit, but doable.

Pop
Lots of it. In fact, I'm going to say the Cobra has more pop than the Proto in the tail. Just try an ollie while maching and see what I mean.

Conclusions
I definitely like this board. It's nice to know that I have a board to go to for powder days and future visits out west. The Cobra's shape definitely lends it unique handling characteristics compared to NS's other rides. Just be cautious with switch riding. I almost want to say that it's better to lean back a little during switch on this board. If you put pressure on the tail while switch, it feels washy.

I would not recommend this board for a beginner or even a new intermediate. Advanced intermediate and above all-mountain shredders are welcome. The Cobra can also handle a sprinkle of freestyle.

Let me know if you have any questions. As always, thanks for reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.