Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gear Advice for My 6 Year Old Daughter
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
PanHandler
Veteran Member

1. either or. Gloves give better dexterity and might be less frustrating for her if she needs to use her hands at all.

2. goggles are a must. The reflection on the snow can get bright enough to burn your retinas. MUST HAVE goggles.

3. Do you make her wear wrist pads while playing on the jungle gym? 6 year olds can bounce back from bumps and bruises very quickly and i doubt shes likely to be going fast enough or fall hard enough to need wrist guards.

4. i would do extra set of gloves and socks. those can get wet/sweaty and if she gets cold hands/feet she will be miserable. Also remember kids phalanges (fingers and toes) will get cold easier than adults. Also maybe stuff a hankie in her coat pocket cause she will get a runny nose, and if she rubs it, it will go raw and hurt.

5. This might be common sense but, let her instructor teach her. If you do hang around to watch her class, make sure she is paying attention to the instructor. If she keeps looking over at you and trying to get your attention, i would advise going off and riding for the remainder of her lesson. I used to teach swimming lessons and we often had to have the parents go out of their kids sight because their kids just would not listen to us if their parent was around. Also, be prepared to have a short day. A few things can cause a short day, but most likely it would be her getting cold, or her just simply not having fun. As you know, with younger kids, if they dont like something or are uncomfortable, they will just whine and complain the rest of the time, which is fine because i whine when im miserable too.

..and im a huge 49ers fan, so im still half way suicidal about losing the NFC Championship. I could care less about the super bowl.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote