Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - position for a female rider?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by designfemme View Post
Hello, beginner snowboarder here!

I heard of a phenomenon where female riders have a tendency to drive the board with their hips forward — due to having wider hips and thus a different range of movement. I even catch myself swiveling and leading with my hips as I exit a toeside turn and enter a heelside turn. Is this the start of a bad habit? Should I be pushing my lead knee out even more instead?

(Since I am a beginner, I cannot detect a difference in performance between the two — yet.)

Thanks in advance!
You can steer with head shoulders, hips, leading knee and foot/ankle. However the further away from the board the more slow the response and more inefficient. The torsional twist/leading knee steering is where a beginner ought to start. However you also want the ankles, hips and shoulders aligned, stacked and working together. You really have 3 axis to coordinate for turns...fore/aft, toeside/heelside and lowering/raising your center of gravity (cog)....and women have a lower center of gravity than guys which results in a more flowing riding style with less articulated movements. Perhaps get a private lesson with a good female instructor. Good women riders can be hellishly fast and just seen to float along...I haven't been able to keep up with my daughter since she was 14.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 02-10-2012 at 08:09 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote