Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help on out of bounds pow riding?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by glm View Post
Hi, I've been snowboarding for the past maybe 7 years, only the last 2 with commitment, but a week or so ago I went to Le Massif in Quebec and found out I have no idea how to ride well in pow/ close tree conditions. I was stopping and starting ever few meters cause either I would dig my front end of my board in and flip, or have really close trees that I had to slow down for.

Do you guys have any tips for the noob powder rider?

Thanks
glm
I had to learn how to ride pow last year in Tahoe. The trick is to keep your back leg boned and front leg loose. This keeps you tail heavy so your nose stays above the pow. You also have to alter how you turn in deep powder. You are basically surfing the snow in these situations. Also, if you don't have to, don't stop. It's easier to plane on top of the pow with some speed. Some instances, you'll straight up sink if you stop if the powder is deep.

Obviously, take your time around trees. Don't want you running into any.

If you know in advance that you are going to spend your day in the pow, it helps to set your stance back on your board. This will be easier on that back leg.

Are you riding a rocker? Rockered snowboards help a ton in powder. Otherwise, prepare yourself to have a back leg that burns.