Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone still PREFER camber?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #64 (permalink)
Snowrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdeo View Post
perhaps its just me.....

I realize that every board is different, and I guess that's my point. Lumping boards into + or - camber is an over simplification. There are SOOOO many variables to consider, from rider ability/preference, riding conditions, edge alterations (magne traction/vario/GripTech etc)...
Pretty much spot on, although IMHO camber and flex are the biggest factors. I've demo'd a lot, and found I need two... My Rome Anthem (161cm) is a traditional camber. Great for fast and steep. Riding gates is smooth and stable. The midrange flex gets me lots of pop when I want to get air, but it's terrible for butters and park or any trick that doesn't involve launching off a hit (jump 180s take a lot of effort). My Burton Custom (154cm) is a flying V and is fun in the park, unassisted pops or ollies (as opposed to launching off a hit) and general dancing around (It pivots easily). On faster terrain (steeps, gates, etc) I have to put a lot of effort in scrubbing off speed to keep it stable. The traditional camber under feet allows it to carve nicely at moderate speeds, but the flex and reverse camber between the feet makes it pivot unpredictably at higher speeds. This season I've tended toward more park riding, so my Rome is getting little use, but I don't think I'll ever give up the traditional camber entirely.
Snowrat is offline   Reply With Quote