Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help on out of bounds pow riding?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvols View Post
Umm why are you going out of bounds without gear especially this season For your own safety I hope you're talking about off-piste. Is that what you mean? People who don't have any avy training are dumb to go out of bounds.
+ this ^^^... I've been riding 19 years or so now, LOTS of experience in trees, powder, off-piste kinda stuff and out of bounds still scares the shit out of me. I like to board where people have bombed the avalanches away and there are people with sleds and carts to haul my carcass off the hill if I nearly kill myself.

My girlfriend learned to powder board this year, first thing you've got to do is stand back, stand waaaaaay back (think the jolly green giant). If you've ever slalom water skied or wake boarded it would help with the stance and turning motions. Also if you can find a more shallow (what's the oposite of deep?) stash of powder, it'll be easier to get the feeling without being total swallowed whole by it.

I was riding in basically bottomless powder this year in Fernie, and it's a totally different feeling. Takes a beating on your legs to do what snowolf says: stand back and go a little more limp to let your legs absorb the bumps...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote