Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Hump/Dump form
Thread: Hump/Dump form
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nefarious
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by designfemme View Post
Beginner here too. I think this is what I have been doing, what Nefarious just described here. I found that it automatically helps me flex my ankles more.
The one thing I will caution is to not "open up" your stance. In other words, ensure that your shoulders are parallel to the board. It will feel unnatural at first, but it's proper form and allows for more concise control and a better ability to shift your weight.

With an open stance, toe side turns can be a nightmare. You'll end up rotating your upper body 180 degrees to look downhill, and by doing it will make it harder to center your balance and keep a firm edge hold on your turns.

What I used to explain to my wife was this,
Quote:
"Bend where your legs meet your pelvis, not at your waist. You don't want to be bending over the board, but rather to shift your center of gravity lower. Follow through with your knees and ankles. One specific region should not be more flexed than the rest. If you use your muscles together, it can lower your center of gravity a ton. The benefit is more leverage on your board."
I also, throughout the day, say "3C" to her. Cool, calm, and collected. Keep your muscles loose and absorb impact. If you tighten up when things don't' go as expected, it often makes the situation worse and turns a minor setback into a full yard sale. Look ahead of you, not down. I often scan the terrain at about the 10 foot mark when possible (when there isn't a roller ahead of me).

It's even more important for bean stalks like myself to stay low. The taller you are, the harder it is to compact your center of gravity. I've grown enough comfort that I don't have to bend nearly as much...but it's better to start lower, in any case.

Best of luck to both of you. Snowboarding has a bit of a learning curve, but the payoff is incredible.