Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Powder Bindings Position Q?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
interesting…. I'm 225lbs, and I find myself sinking as well …

look at the tip of that board, always up … hmmmm might have to buy another board …

how are shallow tails, on groomers, and non pow conditions… obviously you cant ride switch…
A couple of things to notice how he is generally pointing it and just surfing along...no slashes nor turns...just kind of rocking the edges and staying on the tail, the trees generally have more space and lower angle slope than Baker's; also the pow looks to be fluffier than we usually get.

As for your size on a 172 lib...should not be a problem to float, set bindings back...otherwise part is just technique of surfing...keeping your speed up and waiting for the turn to come instead of making it happen. In some ways Baker is a technical hill, i.e., steep, narrow, compact and lots of terrain to pay attention to...so you learn to aggressively turn....to be on the nose...turning for speed control and etc. There are no really big wide areas to just surf along. Thus its kind of a different thing...learning to surf for seemingly short 5-10 seconds blasts. A couple good things are often the snow is wet and heavy...so its more cream cheese surfing...which is great for about the first hour before it gets mobbed...then its chopped crap to ride. Or fluffy and it still gets mobbed but holds up better. The other thing is steep lines are good but you just have to balls up and point it. Part of the difficulties at Baker often visability is a issue, the steeps are steep and pointing it even in the deep fluff or cream cheese...results in hauling ass for a few seconds then shutting it down to negotiate some terrain or go flying off of some natty, stomping it and keep going...and the wide open bowls on gunners would be perfect but are often closed when there is lots of fluff and then you have the groomed canyon which is not great on a big poo board...while the less angled stuff seems a bit too slow to float. So under chair 8, austins, gunners, above the chute, stickies and north to peas can be good places to open it up and point it on some deep fresh before it gets mobbed out.

In summary you got a fine poo board, speed is your friend...wait and build speed to make turns...And pick your lines wisely...and if you are going to stop, stop on the very steep so you can get going again.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 02-23-2012 at 03:49 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote