Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question re: Never Summer Legacy
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
ceridwen

I started this season with a full rocker board. Had multiple people tell me it was an ideal board to learn on. I was barely able to link turns at the start of the season and figured it would take a while for me to outgrow a beginner board because I'm not a very aggressive rider.

I had to buy a new board halfway through the season because I'd hit such a wall with the rocker board that I was considering giving up on snowboarding altogether. I felt like I could not turn it, it could not hold an edge at all on hard pack or ice and I was miserable. I was close to being convinced that I just sucked at boarding when I switched boards with a friend (her board being longer, stiffer, and full camber) and realized that at least a big part of it was the board, not me.

I've had my Never Summer Pandora for a little over a month now and I could not have made a better choice. I've made huge amounts of progress since I got it and can now keep up with my friends. I've only caught an edge once on my first day out on the board.

A full rocker might be easier for the first few days on the mountain, but I'm not the only one to have issues with that type of board after a pretty short period of time (I was about 6 days of riding into the season when I started to have encounter issues). You catch fewer edges with a rocker board, but I'm not sure the trade off is worth it in the long run for many people. It certainly wasn't for me.

You sound like you are well past the point where you would benefit from full rocker IMO. Get the Never Summer! Don't get a wider board than you need just for looks though. Get the one that fits you and your riding style the best or you won't stay happy with it for long no matter how sweet the graphics are (on graphics alone I'd have gotten the Lotus, which would be way too much board for me).
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote