Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Can I get an unbiased review of grouse?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung-POW View Post
I've boarded enough at all 3 local mountains, and I would have to say that Seymour has the longest lift waits of them all, because of the out-dated 2 man chair lifts.
Habba-whaaaa??? Understand, I haven't been to Grouse in literally decades on a weekend, so I'm just taking my friends' word on this, but they're talking about 3/4 hour waits being normal for most of the day after about 11am. In contrast, the longest line-up I've ever timed on Seymour (other than xmas break) was 25 minutes, and that was unusual. Seymour line-ups between 11:30 and about 2:30 are up to 20 minutes or so, but that's about it. The real problem with the old crappy chairs is the amount of time it takes to get to the top, plus the fact they have to stop or slow down the chairs a lot because of beginners (with the high-speed quads, there's no real issue with loading/unloading).

I agree with you about the gondola, and the OP is not driving so the transit situation is even more important. But I really like going to my car whenever I feel like it. Cypress is good for that too.

Agreed you can find fun stuff anywhere, and Paper Trail in particular is great, but you have to work a little harder to find them on Grouse & Cypress. The feel on Seymour IMO is more like the first time I went to Manning. Like Seymour, the amount of "finishing" is minimal so the runs have a lot of bumpy-bits along the sides. First time down any given run you can find plenty of interesting stuff.

I'll tell you one thing that really pisses me off about Seymour that isn't an issue with the other two mtns, is pedestrians. Seymour crew don't really put any effort into shooing out non-skiers, so you get a lot of parents walking around helping their kids, and even a lot of people with sleds and snowshoes on the runs. Had one family last year start building a snowperson right in the middle of a side-hit landing area on Goldie. 'Course that turned out to be kind of fun as snowboarders started aiming for it

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote