Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Damn Skiers!

26K views 193 replies 74 participants last post by  AWNOW 
#1 ·
Finally a place to let all that anger out. Vent all that built up anger towards ignorant skiers (or even snowboarders for that matter)
Tell stories of pure disregard for courtesy or common sense. Skier kept cutting you off? They took up the entire run as their new 4 lane wide turning zone? Yell something about those "Damn Snowboarders" as they ran away from an accident they caused. Tell us about it.

#10 ·
It always seems like there are more tool-bags on skis, because that's what people rent when they are on their once a year ski trip to breck =[

I do both, but I have been neglecting the ski's this year..
My buddy puts the bar down, but he is afraid of heights - which is weird because he goes heli-skiing in alaska a couple times a year.

#11 ·
It always seems like there are more tool-bags on skis, because that's what people rent when they are on their once a year ski trip to breck =[
This may be the most sensible comment of the entire thread. Snowboarding does take a bit more commitment, so if you're a couple-times-a-year person, you're more likely to be a skier just by default.

#14 ·
There are idiots strapped to skis and snowboards, but atleast around here there are a lot more on skis. There are a lot of tree runs i like to hit that have some nice kickers at the end of them on my local hill. I find skiers and snowboarders alike sitting at the end of the tree run on top of the kickers ALL the time. I dont mind if you fall, accidents happen, but move out of the way, dont throw out a tent and camp there! Its hard enough to scrub speed when going through paths with 3 feet of clearance already, i dont need a human obstacle to deal with as well.

There are also quite a few runs that have wide areas, then funnel into a hard right with a ~8ft wide path that are fun to bomb through, when there arent literally 5-6 skiers standing blocking the whole path most of the day.

#15 ·
Heard alot of comments rom skiers during a day that had 15-20 min lines on every single lift that my snowboard took up to much place in the line...

Funny how people don't realize that you might be swedish to, seeing as its packed with swedish people this time of the year in Austris, always so embarrassed when you reply in swedish. :)

Oh and I wouldnt mind seeing the bitch that screamed "suckers" to me and my brother when we were taking the lift down (my brother was running a fever and my binding was broken) burn in hell.

#18 ·
This is just me, I snowboard, but I hate it when a group of snowboarders lies down to put on their bindings across the run opening. Whenever I am getting off the ski lift there are always novice riders who block off the opening an take forever. Get over to the side of the run entrance near the benches!:mad: I just felt like saying that, but I do despise skier's mentality.

#31 · (Edited)
Bitching about people who bitch about having the bar slammed down on their heads is even lamer..:cheeky4::D

Persoanlly I never use the bar, but don`t have any problem with people who do, but God damn it, communicate your intent and make sure all of your chair mate`s know it`s coming down. Had some ski douche the other day slam the bar down without warning and pinch the fuck out of my arm; its still bruised. This fucking moron was like in a panic to get the bar down before the chair even left the bull wheel. If you`re that fucking terrified, take up Golf or something. I was so pissed; to jump on a chair and slam the bar down without warning before you even leave the loading platform is just plain rude and really warrants a fist to the face...:laugh:

I refrained however and just cussed him out for being a fucking rude asshole idiot....;)
You don't understand. Having the bar slammed on your head is a justifiable complaint and i fully agree with.

I'm talking about people who don't like the bar down for the sole reason of not having the bar down, like they think it will make them a little girl if they are seen with the bar down. Or like the original person I quoted saying he doesn't like the bar down because he couldn't get his feet on the bar... its pathetic. Its fucking annoying to hear people scoff when you say "bar coming down", I want to hit them in the face but than id have to deal with it for the 10 minute lift ride.

#33 ·
I'm talking about people who don't like the bar down for the sole reason of not having the bar down, like they think it will make them a little girl if they are seen with the bar down. Or like the original person I quoted saying he doesn't like the bar down because he couldn't get his feet on the bar... its pathetic. Its fucking annoying to hear people scoff when you say "bar coming down", I want to hit them in the face but than id have to deal with it for the 10 minute lift ride.
Been riding 19 years, and skied for 5 before that. ALWAYS WITH THE BAR DOWN. I saw a girl fall 40' off a chair lift in Barrie. No thanks.

I 100% agree with you, not using it must have something to do with little penis syndrome or something? It's like not wearing a helmet.

It's funny when some people lift it two towers from the top too, usually at the spot with the largest potential fall. On a high speed lift they come in so slow I could have a nap between the last tower and the time I have to lift the bar. Usually I end up just taking over and controlling the thing cause fuck it, I feel like being safe!

Cheers, good to know I'm not the only person who doesn't need to pretend to take a risk to be "cool"...

#32 ·
Come on guys, you know you aren't a cool snowboarder unless you leave the bar up... I put the bar down for 2 reasons: 1. If I'm riding with a bunch of goofy riders (I'm regular) and repositioning your board just is not working and 2. If I'm on a sketchy old lift or there are high winds. I witnessed the Spillway lift a Sugarloaf get blown off a tower last season... It wasn't the initial fall that caused people to eject from the chairs, it was the slingshot effect... so the chairs fell almost to the ground, then rocketed up to their original 25-30 ft positions causing anyone with the bar UP to get thrown even higher in the air. One lady broke both her legs (but she looked damn cool doing it though). To my knowledge, everyone who had the bar down was safe.

But what really grinds my gears... when snowboarders have never heard of GOOFY RIDERS ON THE LEFT, REGULARS ON THE RIGHT. It's a simple concept, and makes the ride up a slow lift that much less awkward and uncomfortable. Simply less tangling of legs, elbows and boards.

#34 ·
Oh give me a break my friend! You are way over thinking this one. I never put the bar down on my own and I have honestly never given it any thought. It really just does not bother me and I don't see it as "risk taking to be cool"; I am not still 12. To make this claim is absurd and by saying it, you come off as if you are "protesting too much" as compensation for being embarrassed for wanting to use the bar; get over it. I also don`t mind if someone else wants it down and certainly don`t equate "coolness" with the chairlift bar; good grief how retarded. Just don`t slam the damn thing down on me without warning.

I also don't wear a helmet for about 90% of my riding and again, it is`t a "cool" factor; I personally just fucking hate wearing helmets and as a 47 year old adult, I can choose on my own whether to wear it or not. I also don`t need busy bodies on the hill telling me I should wear it or that, "Mine isn't uncomfortable at all and I hardly notice it anymore". My response is generally something along the lines of, "well, good for you. Now fuck off and go preach to someone who gives a shit"......:D

You are assuming way too much and reading way too much meaning into the things people do or don`t do that just isn't there. Its totally cool if you or anyone prefers the bar down, would never diss anyone for it. At the same time, my not using it has no hidden meaning.

QFTW! :laugh:

#35 ·
I personally just fucking hate wearing helmets and as a 47 year old adult, I can choose on my own whether to wear it or not.
An adult can chose whatever they want, doesn't mean it's smart or safe. :)

I know I tend to generalize a lot on the forums (I stick with what I know lol) but in my day job I get guys all day long telling me why they don't want to wear/use their safety gear. It usually equates to "it's not comfortable" or "I don't have time", but also because there is a testosterone driven need to take risks to appear strong, or appear that you don't care to others. It may be subconscious but I think it's there.

I wonder if you did a survey how many women use the bar vs. men? It's there for a reason, it takes two seconds to use it and doesn't slow down the trip, so there has to be a reason not to use it, no?

The other reason I'm generalizing is that for the most part it seems like it's younger kids that don't use the bar, late teens early twenties. I get the looks when I'm riding up with 3-4 of them and I put the bar down (slowly, I don't like being knocked out either!), it's the look of "oh god do we really have to use this?" It's possible that I'm completely misinterpreting this, but it just seems to fit in with the seatbelt not wearing crowd. The smokers (yeah I probably just alienated half the forum!). The guys that drive 4x4s with all season tires in the winter and think they're invincible!?! :cheeky4:

Anyway, I've said my peace. I take back the small penis syndrome. I think it's more deep rooted in our subconscious than that! :D

#39 ·
14 years old.
Wear a helmet, light capix one it alright I mean I don't really like wearing them but I find it may come in handy but I don't care what other people do, but by fuck ima make my kids wear them for a while.
The bar I don't really put a though to it, I generally don't touch it because beleive it or not I forget but if I think of it I put it down.
Really though I don't give a shit if others leave it up or down.
I don't like getting in other people's business cuz I hate it when they in mine!

#56 ·
I ski too (not much lately, last time was over 1 yr ago, but still) - there are idiots in both groups.

Hate to say it, but I see only boarders throwing empty beer cans, energy drinks, bar wrappers, and cig packs from the lift or on the mountain.

Some skiers have a very self-righteous attitude, though - this is really frustrating.

I chat up with skiers on the lifts all the time, and many are pretty cool. Once they see that I don't hate them just because they ski they relax.

#57 ·
haha, this thread is to bash skier's not stick up for them or say how boarders and skiers are just as bad. We (snowboarders mostly) come here to vent about the bullshit that they do just like there probably venting about us on one of there forums, if you want to share your opinion on boarders go to there forums because 99% of us know already, we just like talking crap on here so we don't go to jail "venting" on the mountain :cheeky4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.