Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#1,909 · (Edited)
I think they're talking about "Crazy Daze" (Boyne's answer to Mardi Gras) weekend. I believe that's held the weekend of the 17th & 18th. I was there last year for it. Snow conditions weren't great so I don't think it was as crowded or crazy as it usually gets. Lots of drunkeness, lots of nice lookin' babes,.. a few "Douche Bags" of course, but all in all, it was fun. (I called in sick that friday to get a 3 day weekend out of it) ;) One thing to watch for,.. LOTS of shredded empty beer cans on the runs. They will gouge your board & you sure as shit don't want to fall on one! (...oh yeah, saw a few "Full" cans get dropped from the lifts!, keep an eye to the sky too!!!) ;) :D

This weekend, if the storm brings some accumulation & don't "F" things up with freezing rain,.. It will probably just be crowded!

#1,910 ·
This weekend I wouldn't expect chaos. There is good snow in this week's forecast though, although it is warming a bit on friday and cooling again overnight so I would expect mostly corduroy/packed powder conditions with some stashes of hidden pow in the trees. Expect crowds and long lift lines especially for main base-area lifts.

#1,913 ·
cmubennett,
Just checked Boyne's site. Krazy Daze is @ Highlands that weekend, (more for the Family!) @ Boyne Mnt. It's "Carnival"!!! (...that's the place for drunken babes & crazy ass shit!) :D

#1,914 ·
I'm going up Friday, coming home Monday morning. Friday will probably be at Shanty/Schuss. I haven't been there in at least 5-6 years and would like to check it out, plus we will be lodging near Crystal and it is just too far of a drive to go to Nub's (4.5hrs from us) and then drive another 2+ hours down to Crystal/Traverse City area.

#1,922 ·
going with Brad (he was at the Crystal meetup earlier this year) and his friend Brad. Weird, right?

I mentioned it to Jay29 too and also to boardaddicktd. Not sure that either of them can make it up there at all but told them basically that even if they want to only go up there for 1 day or whatever, they can crash on our floor. Not sure how the parking situation would work but I'm sure we could figure that out.

#1,925 ·
oh I'm faaaaaar from "pro" when it comes to park riding.
I'm not that great myself, that's why earlier I said I'd be getting shredded at the park, stead of shredding it... Hah. Last week, you should have seen the crash I had. I hit the big jump (which has a blind landing zone) and a lady was standing in the middle of the landing zone. I landed about 8 feet in front of her maybe -then smoked her... hah. Actually ended up hitting my face on the edge of her ski when fell. Thankfully I had just bought got oakley goggles,:rolleyes:which saved my face, and the lady was alright.

#1,931 ·
weather looks like kind of a bummer. It might snow, but it might also rain. At least it will not be cold. Except for sunday when the low is a mere 10 degrees. That will make for icy icy icy...

Friday sounds like a good day to huck park jumps for the first time in 2 years. Got KTFO a few years back and haven't really hit a park jump since then. But if it's 40 degrees and wintry mix outside I might just have to go for it.

#1,933 ·
most recent weather reports look good. Tomorrow will be a mixed bag with some rain/wintry mix early little to no accumulation but turning to snow late with 2-4" and Saturday additional 3-6".

Forecast is fairly across the northern half of LP, Shanty getting slightly more (8.3") than the West side over at Crystal (6.9") but either way it looks like we'll be getting some freshie-fresh.

#1,947 · (Edited)
Hey guy's,

I'm in harborer springs now. (So glad I still had a personal day left!!) ;) Got here about an hour ago. Going to do Nubs till 4, then Highlands has a night special 4:30 - 9 tonight for $11.00! :)

CMUBBenett, Unless we get so much snow tonight that I'm "Forced" to remain @ Highlands tomorrow,.. (...I will be SOOOOOO disappointed if that happens!! ;) :D ) local forecast calling for 10-15 tonight, with 5-8 more tomorrow!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

I will be heading to Boyne Mnt. tomorrow!! Hope to see U there! (Drive careful )

Dave, Have a BLAST @ Crystal. Don't really think it will happen, but I might head that way for Sunday. If I do, I'll look for your Hoodie!!! :)

#1,948 ·
Hey guy's,

I'm in harborer springs now. (So glad I still had a personal day left!!) ;) Got here about an hour ago. Going to do Nubs till 4, then Highlands has a night special 4:30 - 9 tonight for $11.00! :)

CMUBBenett, Unless we get so much snow tonight that I'm "Forced" to remain @ Highlands tomorrow,.. (...I will be SOOOOOO disappointed if that happens!! ;) :D ) local forecast calling for 10-15 tonight, with 5-8 more tomorrow!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

I will be heading to Boyne Mnt. tomorrow!! Hope to see U there! (Drive careful )

Very cool I am jealous you are already up there! I will definitely look for you, I'll be up there with my brother who is going to try and ski (he has gone once in two years) so that should be fun! Thanks I'm thinking my lovely jeep will keep me safe through the snow. I can't wait!:D

#1,949 ·
Snow is too slow/sticky for jumps today but the park here at shanty is pretty legit lots of features, good variety, nothing requiring too gnarly of an ollie-on except for the stairset rail at the very top. Kind of sketchy short run-up, but still do-able. There's a bunch of log features in the woods to skier's right but cover is too thin and they are all roped off today.

#1,951 ·
Snow started about 15 min. Ago. Still above freezing, but its starting to come down heavy.
Nubs was OK. Snow was a little slow in spots but not bad.

Made my first tennative trips into the trees today. It was a mixed bag as far as how well I did. Fun tho. Scary too!! :D

If video any good, will post some later.

Gonna eat something now 'n' then hit highland for nite boarding.

#1,952 ·
Snow was def slow today, resulted in knuckling a smaller kicker with a larger gap more times than I care to admit. It was good enough for me to attempt Boyne's BIG jumps on the far left. Never stuck the landing but cleared the jumps everytime, landed and stupidly washed out before I could call it a landing.

Had I more time I'm confident I would have stuck it.