Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Brand New Board- Detune The Tips?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  boarderbud 
#1 ·
Just ordered a new board, Capita BSOD, and was wondering if I should de-tune the nose/tail. If so, how much rounding? What type of file, or just use a stone? How far back do I go?

I like to carve so how far back I go scares me.

No park/rails etc...

#5 ·
I'd give it my own wax job (factory jobs stink) and get on it. Then you can evaluate if the nose or tail feels hooky. How to tell? If you're carving and you notice that when you set the board high on edge, it tends to crank an insanely tight turn rather unexpectedly, or if you find the nose is wanting to fold when the board is heavily pressured, the nose is hooky. If you find the board doesn't want to cleanly release from a carve and wants to hold on and steer you into the trees, then the tail is hooky. If you find you have to detune at all, just barely knock the first few cm's of the razor sharp edge off with a few passes of a stone. DON'T round it! The edge should still look very much square with no discernable rounding. You just want to take the "bity-ness" out of it, and only if you NEED to.

#6 ·
Awesome info. Wax job for sure. A side from that your advice good and well noted. Most likely why SW rides out of the box and makes the adjustments if needed.

I will in box, wax , and head to meadows. Hint hint in case SW wants to guide a tour down HC. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.