Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The helmet may save you
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
SnowMotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I agree but as always make sure that you understand a helmet`s limitations too. In your case it performed exactly as designed to protect your head from severe surface trauma. Understand however that they do not fully prevent concussion as many people believe they do. The concussion happens from the brain slamming into the skull inside of the head as a result of the sudden stop. Also, helmets are generally only rate to 12-15 MPH so anything over that, you start getting into the realm of danger again.

I am not advocating not wearing a helmet, just pointing out that they have limitations and riding in control within your skill level and also riding defensively looking for a way out should a problem pop up is always going to be your best defense. I rarely wear a helmet and their use should always be a personal choice.

Glad you are recovering....
This is true your brain will still rattle in a helmet but less. Also most helmets are only good for one solid impact so definitely get yourself a new one. But I am from NH so I agree with SnoWolf it should always be personal choice. Live Free or Die!
SnowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote