Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Powder Bindings Position Q?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
dreampow
Veteran Member

2ft of powder is a nice dump, living in Japan we often get lots more than that of fresh so I am used to ring powder.

Thats pretty much all I ride (at least 70% plus).

The advice the others have shared is right on. I usually set back a couple of notches on a big powder day here.

The more powder you ride the better you get, no substitute for practice, but in general leaning back a little and steering from the back with low angle gentle turns will help.

If the pow is heavy and wet then even on a steep slope you want to keep pointed down the mountain and just make low angle sweeping turns. I find with my intermediate buddies who come with me into the pow one of the biggest issues is the fear of pointing the tip straight down a steep slope. They usually try to turn hard and with too big an angle, the drag of the heavy snow slows them down so much they fall or get stuck.

The powder acts as a brake and will slow you down so just point it. If there are lots of dense trees its much harder and I recommend getting used to powder in open spaces before hitting the trees. I love tight tree runs with powder but they also present a risk if you get it wrong.

Powder is snowboarding for me. Looks like next week will bring some fresh dumps to Japan and I'll be in the white room again.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote