Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Just another newbie in paradise
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
tigre

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I spent a couple hours up at Thompson Pass today in some really fun, deep powder. That big board really does feel great in that stuff. I was linking turns today and feeling a lot more confident. It's amazing how effortless it feels in deep snow, compared to that groomed stuff. I didn't fall near as much, and they were much more controlled falls than before, not unexpected wipeouts. Mostly I was falling because I was sort of lagging behind the board at higher speeds and it wound up washing out from under me. I had moved my bindings forward a little for riding the hard snow at the bunny hill, and I think I need to move them back next time I go to the Pass so I'm not leaning back so much to begin with. Hopefully I'll get in another couple of days up there this week.

I know I need a smaller board for other conditions like hardpack and early/late season when it's not so deep. I'll be able to afford one in about a month, and will probably get a used one for now that I can use as a rock board and not worry about beating it up while I'm learning. As much snow as we've gotten this year there should still be decent hardpack I can hike to fairly easily well into June or even July, so it's not like the season's nearly over here or anything. When I know enough about riding to spend some real money on a board I'll be looking at splitboards so I can go out with my skier friends.

Last edited by tigre; 03-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.
tigre is offline   Reply With Quote